1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

How can I get the sum inside the exponential?

1. Jun 6, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Show if true:
    [tex]\sum_{i=1}^{n-1}e^{2 \pi ift}=\frac{e^{2 \pi ifn}-1}{e^{2 \pi if}-1}=e^{\pi if(n-1)}\frac{e^{\pi ifn}-e^{-\pi i f n}}{e^{ \pi if}-e^{-\pi if}}\\\\\\\\[/tex]

2. Relevant equations

I'm really stuck here, just looking for a suggestion as to what equation to use...
    Can I take the log? How can I get the sum inside the exponential?

3. The attempt at a solution

Last edited: Jun 6, 2012
  2. jcsd
  3. Jun 6, 2012 #2

vela

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Education Advisor

Re: Euler

Hint: Geometric series.

4. Jun 6, 2012 #3

D H

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

This does not look right, no matter how I read your sum. The expression is incorrect if the sum is over i; you should have a t somewhere on the right hand side. The expression is also incorrect if the sum is over t rather than i.

[tex]\sum_{i=1}^{n-1} e^{2 \pi i f t} =
    \frac{e^{2\pi f n t} - e^{2\pi f t}} {e^{2\pi f t} - 1}
    = e^{2\pi f t} \frac{e^{2\pi f (n-1) t} - 1} {e^{2\pi f t} - 1}[/tex]

and

[tex]\sum_{t=1}^{n-1} e^{2 \pi i f t} =
    \frac{e^{2\pi i f n} - e^{2\pi i f}} {e^{2\pi i f} - 1}
    = e^{2\pi i f} \frac{e^{2\pi i f (n-1)} - 1} {e^{2\pi i f} - 1}[/tex]

Since you mentioned Euler in the title, I suspect it is the latter that you are supposed to prove.

Or perhaps it is

[tex]\sum_{t=0}^{n-1} e^{2 \pi i f t} =
    \frac{e^{2\pi i f n} - 1} {e^{2\pi i f} - 1}[/tex]

5. Jun 6, 2012 #4

Hi,

You are correct my mistake.

[tex]\sum_{t=0}^{n-1}e^{2 \pi ift}=\frac{e^{2 \pi ifn}-1}{e^{2 \pi if}-1}=e^{\pi if(n-1)}\frac{e^{\pi ifn}-e^{-\pi i f n}}{e^{ \pi if}-e^{-\pi if}}\\\\\\\\[/tex]

6. Jun 6, 2012 #5

Using Geometric Series I get...

[tex] \frac{1-e^{2 \pi ifn}}{1-e^{2 \pi if}} =\frac{e^{2 \pi ifn}-1}{e^{2 \pi if}-1}[/tex]

Do I want to split up the pieces in the numerator? or Factor?

7. Jun 13, 2012 #6

You have:

[itex]\frac{e^{2nx}-1}{e^{2x}-1}=\frac{e^{nx}}{e^{x}}\;\frac{e^{nx}-e^{-nx}}{e^x-e^{-x}}[/itex]

and the result follows simplifying the first factor in the right had side of the equality.

8. Jun 13, 2012 #7

How is this even related to Euler's formula, since i is an index? But, as vela said, geometric series makes it obvious here. But first you really have to simplify that mess. Replace 2πft with something else, like ##A##, or even ##x## since it isn't used so far.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook