How can I improve my understanding of kinematics and force in physics?

  • Thread starter Thread starter oscarkool2
  • Start date Start date
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 4K views
oscarkool2
Messages
8
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement



I read the book, I read my teachers notes, I go to do a problem and I have no idea what to do. I go to the tutors but I don't understand what's going on. Dealing with kinematics and force right now but I still have no idea what the hell is going on.



Homework Equations



I need a resource that can teach me how to understand physics. My textbook, Fundamentals of Physics by Halliday is complete trash, I have read the assigned chapters over and over and when I approach each and every problem, I have no idea what's going on.



The Attempt at a Solution



I think I suck at word problems. For example, this question gives me a coordinate with some forces on it and asks me which direction is the acceleration. Um, I have no idea and have seemed to miss where the book mentions how to find the direction of acceleration. What am I doing wrong? Spent 16+ hours on physics and haven't learned a thing.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
When you add your forces together (you may need a little trig), the direction of the net force will be the direction of the acceleration. For example, the force of gravity is vertical. Therefore thing that are dropped accelerate down. Post your problem and describe where you get stuck.