1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

How can I learn more advanced physics?

1. Apr 25, 2013 #1
    I want to start learning more advanced physics, help?

Basically I am a fifth year in Scotland (16 years old) and I am away to sit my higher exams which will decide whether I can get into uni to study physics or not.

The problem is physics in school isn't moving at a fast enough pace for me and I want to learn more. We've done all the basics properties of matter E=mc2 etc but I am craving knowledge.

It's no good watching documentaries etc no matter how interesting they are I want to understand Physics properly and not in layman terms.

How would I go about teaching myself physics.

Share you advice and experiences, thanks :)

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 29, 2013 #2
    I basically feel like I'm not being challenged enough in school, does anyone know how I can learn more advanced physics by teaching myself?

4. Apr 29, 2013 #3

phinds

Gold Member
    2016 Award

The answer would likely depend on whether you are in kindergarten or college. Should we guess?

5. Apr 29, 2013 #4

SteamKing

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

You can teach yourself advanced physics, but be prepared to teach yourself advanced mathematics as well. It is difficult to master the former without a thorough grounding in the latter.

6. Apr 29, 2013 #5

WannabeNewton

Science Advisor

We could ask politely, without the unnecessary sarcasm. That would be a good first step.

7. Apr 29, 2013 #6

micromass

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

That should make the OP feel welcome here...

8. Apr 29, 2013 #7
    By the way I'm away to go into my lasts year at school. I understand Electronics, properties of matter and Newtonian physics quite well :) I'm hoping to do physics at uni

9. Apr 30, 2013 #8
    Do well in your exams first and stay on for sixth year and take advanced highers.

If you want to start looking at more advanced physics you could look at "University Physics" by Young and Freedman. This is the first and second year textbook for physics at Glasgow University and so will overlap with things you will do at advanced higher. It is quite expensive so might be worth finding a copy in a library somewhere.

But I stress to focus on doing well in your exams first.

10. Apr 30, 2013 #9
    Well, if you like the documentaries but aren't getting enough "rigor" out of them, the next step is to start watching online class lectures. You can find thousands of these on you-tube. Just run a search for whatever you're interested in. Also, a lot of the "KhanAcademy-ish" amateur tutorials are also interesting and informative, and sometimes even fun.:tongue: That way, you can continue to "couch potato" your way into the subject. Not a bad way to ease into it. Then, once you got your sea legs, you can start getting more serious with the textbooks, formal classes, and journal articles! And most importantly, continue to visit and participate in PF, these folks will steer you right!

11. Apr 30, 2013 #10
    Yeah I will definitely focus on my exams they are only in a few weeks, I think I need to get 4 A's to get into uni for it :/ pretty nervous atm

12. Apr 30, 2013 #11
    Thanks I've starting watching some Leonard Suskind lectures on gravity and they're really quite interesting!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook