How can I make my form fields required?

In summary, the individual is seeking assistance with making their form fields required in their web design project. They provide their current code and ask for help in finding information on how to accomplish this. Some potential solutions include searching for HTML form email options or using Javascript validation.
Demon117
I am new to web design so forgive me if I come off as ignorant. Would some one direct me to a page or give me information on how to make my submit form fields required? Here is my current code:

Code:
<form name="contact" action="process.php" method="post">
<label>Name</label><br />
<input type="text" name="name" /><br />
<label>E-Mail</label><br />
<input type="text" name="email" /><br />
<label>Message</label><br />
<textarea name="message" cols="50" rows="10"></textarea><br />
<input type="submit" name="submit" value="Submit" />
</form>

Any help would be valuable. Thanks!

Computer science news on Phys.org
You can use some simple Javascript validation
http://www.w3schools.com/js/js_form_validation.asp

Last edited:

1. How do I make a form field required?

To make a form field required, you can add the "required" attribute to the input element. This will prompt the user to fill in the field before they can submit the form.

2. Can I make only certain form fields required?

Yes, you can make specific form fields required by adding the "required" attribute to those specific input elements. This will only prompt the user to fill in those particular fields before submitting the form.

3. How do I indicate to the user that a form field is required?

You can use the "required" attribute to prompt the user to fill in the field, but it is also helpful to visually indicate to the user that the field is required. This can be done by adding an asterisk (*) or using a different color or font for the label or border of the required field.

4. Can I make a form field required only if a certain condition is met?

Yes, you can use JavaScript to make a form field required only if a certain condition is met. For example, you can use an if statement to check if a checkbox is checked before making a corresponding form field required.

5. Why should I make my form fields required?

Making form fields required helps to ensure that all necessary information is provided by the user. This can help prevent incomplete or inaccurate form submissions and make the user experience more efficient and effective.