sebasalekhine7 Messages 23 Reaction score 0 Thread starter Feb 15, 2005 #1 How can I measure altitude depending on the period of a pendulum? I know I have to calculate the value for g but I don't know how exactly altitude could be calculated.
How can I measure altitude depending on the period of a pendulum? I know I have to calculate the value for g but I don't know how exactly altitude could be calculated.
dextercioby Science Advisor Insights Author Messages 13,423 Reaction score 4,244 Feb 15, 2005 #2 Within "human limits",'g' is very weakly dependent upon altitude,but certainly,in principle,one can measure its values using a pendulum... [tex]T=2\pi \sqrt{\frac{l}{g}}[/tex] [tex]g=\frac{GM_{E}}{(\bar{R}_{E}+h)^{2}}[/tex] Daniel.
Within "human limits",'g' is very weakly dependent upon altitude,but certainly,in principle,one can measure its values using a pendulum... [tex]T=2\pi \sqrt{\frac{l}{g}}[/tex] [tex]g=\frac{GM_{E}}{(\bar{R}_{E}+h)^{2}}[/tex] Daniel.
sebasalekhine7 Messages 23 Reaction score 0 Feb 15, 2005 #3 Sorry, but can you explain what the second formula means?
dextercioby Science Advisor Insights Author Messages 13,423 Reaction score 4,244 Feb 15, 2005 #4 That is the acceleration of a body at height "h" about the surface of the Earth,due to Earths gravity...I'm sure it's not the first time u saw it... Daniel.
That is the acceleration of a body at height "h" about the surface of the Earth,due to Earths gravity...I'm sure it's not the first time u saw it... Daniel.
dextercioby Science Advisor Insights Author Messages 13,423 Reaction score 4,244 Feb 16, 2005 #6 The Average Radius of the Earth...??You know the one which you can compute,if you know the polar & equatorial radius and a bit of geometry. Daniel.
The Average Radius of the Earth...??You know the one which you can compute,if you know the polar & equatorial radius and a bit of geometry. Daniel.