How can I obtain the reciprocal lattice of graphene?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
3 replies · 4K views
skyhj105
Messages
13
Reaction score
0
I have a question about reciprocal lattice of graphene.
When we see LEED pattern, we can know that reciprocal lattice of graphene is honeycomb.
But how can we know theorically that it is honeycomb?
Hexagonal lattice or other bravais lattice has just lattice vectors which don`t contain baises.
So it is just straight forward.
In case of graphene which is not a bravais lattice, how can we get a reciprocal lattice?
 
Physics news on Phys.org
The lattice is hexagonal, dot. The structure is honeycomb. You can infer this from sytematic absences of peaks.
 
DrDu said:
The lattice is hexagonal, dot. The structure is honeycomb. You can infer this from sytematic absences of peaks.
Thank you for your answer.
But I just know that how can we calculate reciprocal lattice in case of not a bravais lattice.
 
All lattices are bravais lattices. Aa honecomb structure (not lattice) is formed from a hexagonal lattice an a basis consisting of two atoms.