How Can I Recreate the Rainbow Effect of Titanium Quartz?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 4K views
hollyrussell
Messages
2
Reaction score
0
Hi,

I am wondering if anyone can help me with a strange request...

I am looking to find out if there is any way with the help of an expert I can recreate the same or a similar effect of the rainbow/iridescent effect that is found on titanium rainbow quartz crystals? This could either be on glass, or metal or any material. As I am a fashion student and don't know that much about the scientific side of this effect, any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks
 
Engineering news on Phys.org
I believe that's done with vapor deposition techniques; that deposit a very thing layer of metal on the crystal.
While it's probably technically possible to do this to glass, I'm afraid the methods required to do this are well beyond the means of a hobbyist.
 
Thanks for replying. I realize that this is a complicated process but I am not simply a hobbyist. I am about to start a Masters at the Royal College of Art and am looking to find out whether with I can commission or find someone who has the equipment and knowledge to carry out a process like this. I have already done a great deal of research into this process but obviously I would need a lot of help. Would you be able to advise me on the type of person I would need to contact or where would be a good starting point? I am based in London.

Many thanks