How can I step up 1 V from a wind turbine to 12 V?

  • Thread starter Thread starter kfrancfort7
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Voltage
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 4K views
kfrancfort7
Messages
1
Reaction score
0
If I have a variable voltage coming from a wind turbine of about 1 V, how can I step it up, at a low cost, to a constant 12 V? Thanks
 
Engineering news on Phys.org
You could use a 1:10 transformer to turn the variable (AC) voltage from 1V to 10V and then use a rectifier (diode bridge + smoothing capacitor) to transform that into [10*sqrt(2) - 2*diode turn-on voltage drop] V, which would be somewhere around 12V (DC) depending on how you design it.
 
Is this alternator home made? The output seems to be a very low voltage and I wonder why. Could there be a fault?
(Or are you measuring the DC component when you should be measuring the AC component?)