How can I store swabbed samples for later use?

• Thread starter Orrichio
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses the best way to store a sterile swab of a desk or surface for later transfer to a Petri dish. It is suggested to use an autoclaved test tube with parafilm and refrigerate it, as opening the sterile paper makes it no longer sterile. However, if refrigeration is not available, the swab could be sealed in Eppendorf tubes at room temperature. It is also mentioned that bacteria and fungal spores can survive for extended periods of time.
Orrichio
Hi,

I wondering how I could go about storing a sterile swab of of desk or surface so I could later transfer it to a Petri dish.

Is it sufficient enough to just stick the cotton swab back in the sterile paper it came with or must I do something different?

Biology news on Phys.org
Autoclaved test tube with parafilm and stick it in a fridge? Once you open the sterile paper, it's not really sterile anymore. I think that's your safest bet.

aroc91 said:
Autoclaved test tube with parafilm and stick it in a fridge? Once you open the sterile paper, it's not really sterile anymore. I think that's your safest bet.

What about if I am on the go and there is no refrigeration available?

Thank for the response!

I think that would depend on how long "later" is, but they'd probably be fine sealed that way at room temperature. From what I've read, some nitrifying bacteria can last 10 weeks without ammonium.

http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1111/j.1574-6941.2006.00170.x/full

Bacteria are pretty hardy and they'd probably go into stasis and be just fine. Fungal spores would last quite a long time, too.

You could seal the swab tips in Eppendorf tubes instead of test tubes, too.

As a scientist, there are a few options you can consider for storing swabbed samples for later use. One option is to use a sterile transport medium, such as a liquid solution specifically designed for preserving microorganisms. This will help keep the sample viable and prevent contamination. Another option is to place the swab in a sterile container, such as a test tube, and store it in a cool and dark place until you are ready to transfer it to a Petri dish. It is important to handle the swab with sterile techniques to avoid introducing any outside contaminants. Additionally, labeling the container with the date and source of the sample can be helpful for tracking and identification purposes. Overall, the key is to maintain the sterility of the sample until you are ready to use it.

What is the best method for storing swabbed samples for later use?

The best method for storing swabbed samples for later use is to place them in a sterile container with a tight-fitting lid and store them in a refrigerator at a temperature of 4°C. This will help preserve the integrity of the sample and prevent any bacterial growth.

How long can swabbed samples be stored for before they need to be used?

This can vary depending on the type of sample and the storage conditions. In general, swabbed samples can be stored for up to 72 hours before they need to be used. It is important to check the specific storage recommendations for the type of sample you are using.

Can swabbed samples be frozen for later use?

Yes, swabbed samples can be frozen for later use. It is important to use a freezer with a temperature of -70°C or lower to prevent any degradation of the sample. It is also recommended to use a cryoprotectant solution to protect the sample during freezing and thawing.

Can multiple samples be stored in the same container?

No, it is not recommended to store multiple samples in the same container. This can increase the risk of contamination and compromise the integrity of the samples. It is best to use separate containers for each sample.

What precautions should be taken when handling and storing swabbed samples?

When handling and storing swabbed samples, it is important to wear gloves and follow proper sterilization techniques to prevent contamination. Samples should also be labeled clearly and stored in a designated area to avoid mix-ups. Additionally, it is important to regularly monitor the storage conditions and discard any samples that show signs of contamination or degradation.