1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

How can I think of rotational diffusion inverse seconds?

1. May 28, 2014 #1
    When thinking of a spherical shaped particle moving about under Brownian motion, one describes its motion by Diffusion. The units being [tex]\frac{m^2}{s}[/tex] I can understand this physically as a distance it will travel from a certain point in space averaged over x-y and z direction.
    Now rotational diffusion on the other hand has units of inverse seconds [tex]\frac{1}{s}[/tex] I cannot think of a way to visualize that? For e.g. a rod shaped particle, what does a
    [tex]D_r = 10\, s^{-1}[/tex] as opposed to say a [tex]D_r = 100\, s^{-1}[/tex] mean? How can I visualize this like I can with a sphere moving an actual distance?
    Thanks

2. jcsd
  3. May 28, 2014 #2

D H

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Think of rotational diffusion as having units radian2/s instead of 1/s.

4. May 28, 2014 #3
    Hi, Thanks

That makes a big more sense...

So in a geometrical sense... if a rod's center of mass with fixed in a liquid somehow, but it could still rotate around that point, does this mean the distance its ends would 'trace' out on a hypothetical sphere in 1 second would equal eg 40 radians?... I am still a bit confused thanks

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook