I have used Aqua regia to disolve gold, but it is not as selective as I would like for some of the parts I do. I know that iodine will work, I just have not found the method to drop the gold and regenerate the solution for reuse. I know it was used commercially for a while before cyanide displaced it due to cost as cyanide was much cheaper. I will not use cyanide. I can still use Aqua Regia as well as HCL/bleach to recover the gold, however there are many steps that can be eliminated if I do not have to remove the base metals first. I can remove the base metals with HCL/peroxide solution but it takes time. I can also use dilute nitric acid, however nitric is very expensive for this task.
If anyone can shed more light on this I would be very grateful. I do have some friends working on this aspect of recovery as well, and they have developed it to a point but solid info would help to break some road blocks. It is all well and good to be able to dissolve the gold, but if we cannot drop it out of solution, it is a loosing proposition.
We will keep at it! Thanks for your help so far. I will refer people from another forum to this post.
Feel free to come visit at goldrefiningforum.com. It is a fascinating place and we have some great people there.