How can I successfully precipitate gold from ore using aqua regia?

• Thread starter happyprince
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Gold
In summary: If you are dealing with telluride, then you should add a little ferric chloride (FeCl3) to the aqua regia to help precipitate the gold. Hope this helps.In summary, if the gold is just pure, then sodium metabisulfite can be used to precipitate it. However, if gold is obtained from ore, then it will not precipitate with sodium metabisulfite. Other metals or mud in the soil could spoil the process. There is no specific preventing the process from occurring, but adding an extracting solvent with a high partition coefficient for gold (low partition coefficient for all others) and not irreversibly reacting with gold should help.
happyprince
Hi,
I can precipitate gold dissolved in aqua regia if the gold is just pure.I use sodium metabisulfite.However,if I dissolve the gold from ore in aqua regia,I cannot precipitate the gold.What's wrong?Might other metals or mud in the soil spoil it?Does anything prevent precipitating?Any help will be highly appreciated.Thanks a lot in advance.

Chemistry news on Phys.org
Try liquid-liquid extraction. You need an extracting solvent that has a high partition coefficient with gold (low partition coefficient with all others), but also doesn't irreversibly react with gold. The extracting solvent also can't mix with aqua regia. Hope this helped.

Last edited:
happyprince said:
Hi,
I can precipitate gold dissolved in aqua regia if the gold is just pure.I use sodium metabisulfite.However,if I dissolve the gold from ore in aqua regia,I cannot precipitate the gold.What's wrong?Might other metals or mud in the soil spoil it?Does anything prevent precipitating?Any help will be highly appreciated.Thanks a lot in advance.

What are you meaning by gold ore? Usually "ore" means a crude compound of the metal you are seeking. Are you simply talking about soil or crushed rock with a decent content of elemental gold? Or are you in a region where the gold is obtained as telluride? (the only gold compound that is present in nature at a significant level).

I do not know much about the chemistry of telluride, and cannot help you further if that is the case.

If you are simply talking native elemental gold, then I think the most likely explanation is that most of the "gold" in your material is pyrite or similar material (marcasite, arsenopyrite, chalcopyrite) which occurs in conjunction with gold deposits, which can have very similar appearance to native gold, and which can make gold-bearing rock look much richer than it really is. These materials also dissolve in aqua regia, but do not precipitate anything when treated with bisulfite. However, there is one tell-tale sign -- a smell of rotten egg gas when you first apply the aqua regia.

Related to How can I successfully precipitate gold from ore using aqua regia?

1. How is gold precipitated from ore?

Gold is precipitated from ore through a process called hydrometallurgy. This involves using chemical reactions to dissolve the gold from the ore and then precipitating it out of solution using a reducing agent, such as zinc or copper. The gold is then separated from the precipitate and purified.

2. What types of ores can be used to precipitate gold?

Gold can be precipitated from a variety of ores, including copper, zinc, and silver ores. However, gold is most commonly precipitated from gold-bearing ores, such as those containing quartz, pyrite, or arsenopyrite.

3. What is the purity of gold precipitated from ore?

The purity of gold precipitated from ore can vary depending on the quality of the ore and the efficiency of the precipitation process. Generally, gold precipitated from ore is at least 95% pure, but it can be further refined to achieve a purity of 99.99% or higher.

4. Is the process of precipitating gold from ore environmentally friendly?

The process of precipitating gold from ore can have environmental impacts, as it involves the use of chemicals and produces waste products. However, modern methods of hydrometallurgy have been developed to minimize these impacts, and many companies have implemented sustainable practices to reduce their environmental footprint.

5. How does the cost of precipitating gold from ore compare to other methods of gold extraction?

Precipitation is generally considered a cost-effective method of gold extraction, especially for low-grade ores. It can be more efficient and economical than traditional methods, such as smelting or roasting, and it also has a lower environmental impact. However, the cost can vary depending on the specific ore and the efficiency of the precipitation process.