How can I use the dot product formula to find the angle between two vectors?

  • Thread starter Thread starter leitz
  • Start date Start date
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
3 replies · 2K views
leitz
Messages
8
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement


Prove : ||V - U|| => | ||V||-||U|| |
V and U are vectors

Homework Equations


Maybe the dot product formula: ||A||*||B||cosθ

The Attempt at a Solution


==> ||V - U||2 >= (||V||-||U||)2
==> (V-U) . (V-U) >= ||V||2 +||U||2 - 2||U||*||V||
==> V.V + U.U -2U.V >= V.V + U.U - 2||U||*||V||
==> -2U . V >= -2 ||U||*||V||

I don't know how to go on from here. I always get a nonsensical answer if I try to simplify this. Am I using the right approach?
 
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
leitz said:

Homework Statement


Prove : ||V - U|| <= | ||V||-||U|| |
V and U are vectors

Homework Equations


Maybe the dot product formula: ||A||*||B||cosθ

You have the inequality backwards above.

Hint: ||u|| = ||(u - v) + v|| ≤ ...
 
LCKurtz said:
You have the inequality backwards above.

Hint: ||u|| = ||(u - v) + v|| ≤ ...

leitz said:
Can you give me another hint please?

What did you try with my hint? What might go after the ≤ ?