Using Euler's formula to prove trig identities using "sum to product" technique

In summary, the conversation discusses proving trigonometric identities using the Euler formula and the struggle to memorize sum to product identities. The author provides a hint for deriving these identities using the Euler formula, and suggests using the natural log as a tool for converting between sums and products.
MiddleEast
Homework Statement
Derive sum to product formulas using Euler formula
Relevant Equations
Euler formula e^ix = cos x + i sin x
Hello,
This is actually not homework.
I was google searching for "proving trig identities from geometric point of view), found one of the result which proves trig identities using Euler formula. I really liked it. Easier, quicker & simple.
But when the author speak about sum to product formulas, he gave unclear hint and did not do the derivation. Please see attached.
Can some1 explain how to do it using Euler? am really struggling with memorizing sum to product identities.
I still can derive them easily from angles sum & difference sin(x+y) ... etc, But I want to know how to do it using Euler formula.

Thanks

Attachments

• Untitled.jpg
    Untitled.jpg
    52.6 KB · Views: 66
Physics news on Phys.org
What is meant is, for example, [tex]\begin{split}
\cos a \cos b &= \frac{2\cos a \cos b}{2} + \frac{\sin a \sin b - \sin a \sin b}{2} \\
&= \frac{ \cos a \cos b + \sin a \sin b}{2} + \frac{\cos a \cos b - \sin a \sin b}{2} \\
&= \frac{\cos (a - b)}{2} + \frac{\cos (a + b)}{2} \end{split}.[/tex] But it is easier to start from [tex]\begin{split}
\cos (a + b) &= \cos a \cos b - \sin a \sin b \\
\cos (a - b) &= \cos a \cos b + \sin a \sin b\end{split}[/tex] and add the two to get an expression for [itex]\cos a \cos b[/itex] or subtract the first from the second to get an expression for [itex]\sin a \sin b[/itex].

Thank you for your reply. Appreciated but it is algebraic. I need the one which uses euler formula.

Let [tex]e^{i(x+y)}=e^{ix}e^{iy}=(\cos(x)+i\sin(x))(\cos(y)+i\sin(y))[/tex] Likewise for [itex]e^{i(x-y)}[/itex]. Then add and subtract.

Likes PhDeezNutz and PeroK
As a general comment, the natural log takes you between sums and products, in that ln(ab)=ln(a) +ln(b)

Last edited by a moderator:

1. How does Euler's formula relate to trigonometric identities?

Euler's formula, e^(ix) = cos(x) + i*sin(x), provides a way to represent complex numbers in terms of trigonometric functions. This allows us to use Euler's formula to prove various trig identities using the "sum to product" technique.

2. What is the "sum to product" technique in trigonometry?

The "sum to product" technique is a method used to simplify trigonometric expressions by converting sums or differences of trigonometric functions into products. This is done by using the identities sin(A+B) = sin(A)cos(B) + cos(A)sin(B) and cos(A+B) = cos(A)cos(B) - sin(A)sin(B).

3. Can Euler's formula be used to prove all trig identities?

No, Euler's formula can only be used to prove certain trig identities that involve sums or differences of trigonometric functions. It cannot be used to prove identities involving products or quotients of trigonometric functions.

4. What is the benefit of using Euler's formula to prove trig identities?

Using Euler's formula can often make the process of proving trig identities more efficient and straightforward. It allows us to convert complex expressions into simpler forms, making it easier to spot patterns and apply known identities.

5. Are there any limitations to using Euler's formula to prove trig identities?

One limitation is that Euler's formula only applies to complex numbers, so it cannot be used to prove identities involving real numbers only. Additionally, it can only be used to prove identities that involve sums or differences of trigonometric functions, as mentioned before.