How can I use the given information to solve this problem?

In summary, to prove that lim x->a sqrt{f(x)}=sqrt{R}, we can use the fact that f(x)>=0 in some deleted neighborhood of c and that lim x->a f(x)=R. By using the given inequalities and the property of squares, we can show that |√(f(x)) - √(R)|^2 < ε^2, which implies that lim x->a sqrt{f(x)}=sqrt{R}.
peace-Econ

Homework Statement

Suppose that f(x)>=0 in some deleted neighborhood of c, and that lim x->a f(x)=R. Prove that lim x->a sqrt{f(x)}=sqrt{R} under the assumption that R>0.

Homework Equations

if 0<|x-c|<delta, then |f(x)-L|<epsilon.

The Attempt at a Solution

I don't know how to start with this.

I tried to work on lsqrt{f(x)}-sqrt(L)l=lsqrt{f(x)}-sqrt(L)llsqrt{f(x)}+sqrt(L)l/lsqrt{f(x)}+sqrt(L)l
=lsqrt{f(x)}-sqrt(L)l/(sqrt{f(x)}+sqrt(L))

But I don't know how to go from here, I'm not sure if it's a correct start as well.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
No, you calculated wrong. What is

[tex]\frac{|\sqrt{f(x)}-\sqrt{L}||\sqrt{f(x)}+\sqrt{L}|}{ |\sqrt{f(x)}+\sqrt{L}|}[/tex]

I actually don't know what it is...I just don't know how to proceed. Could you help me how I get to start with this question?

You have a deleted neighborhood of c, so isn't this lim x ➙ c , not lim x ➙ a ?

Yes, you're right.

Since f(x) > 0, R>0, Hence 0 < |√(f(x)) - √(R)| < |√(f(x)) + √(R)|.

for ε^2 given there exists δ>0 such that when |x-c| <δ, |f(x) - R| < ε^2.

then

|√(f(x)) - √(R)|^2 < |√(f(x)) - √(R)||√(f(x)) + √(R)| = |f(x) - R| < ε^2,

taking square roots give the desired result.

Thank you for your help. But, sorry, how can I conclude this? Why can I say that lim x->a sqrt{f(x)}=sqrt{R}?

(a - b)(a + b) = a2 - b2 .

What is [itex]|\sqrt{f(x)}-\sqrt{L}||\sqrt{f(x)}+\sqrt{L}|\,?[/itex]

Now can you answer micromass's question?

SammyS

Sorry, which part you're asking? Is it for what Trevor Vadas said?

I'm now just wondering how I can conclude this problem from |√(f(x)) - √(R)|^2 < |√(f(x)) - √(R)||√(f(x)) + √(R)| = |f(x) - R| < ε^2.

Related to How can I use the given information to solve this problem?

1. What is the purpose of a question of proof of analysis?

The purpose of a question of proof of analysis is to gather evidence and data to support or refute a hypothesis or claim. It involves using systematic methods and techniques to collect, analyze, and interpret data in order to draw conclusions and make predictions.

2. How do you design a question of proof of analysis?

Designing a question of proof of analysis involves identifying the research question or problem, selecting appropriate methods and tools for data collection, determining the sample size and population, and developing a plan for data analysis and interpretation.

3. What are some common methods used in a question of proof of analysis?

Some common methods used in a question of proof of analysis include experiments, surveys, interviews, observations, and statistical analysis. The specific method chosen will depend on the research question and the type of data that needs to be collected.

4. How do you ensure the validity and reliability of a question of proof of analysis?

To ensure the validity and reliability of a question of proof of analysis, it is important to use appropriate research methods and tools, carefully select and sample the data, and minimize biases and errors. It is also important to replicate the study and have it peer-reviewed by other scientists.

5. What are some examples of questions of proof of analysis in different scientific fields?

Examples of questions of proof of analysis in different scientific fields include determining the effectiveness of a new medication through clinical trials in medicine, studying the impact of climate change on plant growth through experiments in ecology, and analyzing survey data to identify trends and patterns in market research.