How can I verify the separability of a differential equation with constants?

  • Thread starter Thread starter fluidistic
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Ode Variable
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
3 replies · 2K views
fluidistic
Gold Member
Messages
3,934
Reaction score
286

Homework Statement


Verify that the following ODE can be reduced to an ODE of separable variables.
[tex]\frac{dy}{dx} =f(ax+by+c)[/tex] where a, b and c are constants.2. The attempt at a solution
I think I must show that there exist functions g and h such that [tex]g(y)dy=h(x)dx[/tex].
I have that [tex]dy=f(ax+by+c) dx[/tex]. I was at a loss. So I talked to a friend and he told me to write [tex]u=ax+by+c[/tex].
So I get [tex]dy=f(u)dx \Rightarrow y= \int f(u)dx=\frac{u-ax-c}{b}[/tex], [tex]y'=\frac{u'-a}{b}[/tex], [tex]y''=u''[/tex]. I want to write [tex]f(u)[/tex] as [tex]\phi _1 (x) \phi _2 (y)[/tex] but I'm totally stuck.
I'd love a tip.
Thank you.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
You have figured out that y' = (u'-a)/b and if you plug that in for y' you get

(u'-a)/b = f(u)

Write u' as du/dx and, remembering that a and b are constants, see if you can't get the u terms and the x terms on opposite sides.
 
ya lckurtz sums it up

also try looking here:http://www.tutorvista.com/math/separable-differential-equation"
 
Last edited by a moderator: