1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

B How can log(x) = ln(x)/ln(10)?

1. Aug 7, 2016 #1
    Might be a silly question but I'm trying to search for ways to prove that it's right without using the numbers itself

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 7, 2016 #2
    Does the following equation make sense to you:
    $$x=10^{log x}$$
    It says that, by definition, the log of x is the power to which you have to raise 10 to get x.

4. Aug 7, 2016 #3
    Chestermiller's answer is correct, and so by this time you may have figured this out, but if you are still having difficulty, just google the proof of the change of base formula. Or just google the change of base formula, and many sites will also offer the proof (based on Chestermiller's hint)

5. Aug 7, 2016 #4
    Yup.. How could I miss that! The best thing about his answer was the fact he didn't answer it but gave a great hint... I figured it out now...

6. Aug 9, 2016 #5

Ssnow

Gold Member

Hi, there is this formula ##\log_{a}{b}=\frac{\log_{c}{b}}{\log_{c}{a}}## that permits to change the base from ##b## to ##c##.

7. Aug 9, 2016 #6
    Don't you mean when you change the base from c to a?

8. Aug 9, 2016 #7

Ssnow

Gold Member

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted