How can people self-study material in solitude all the time?

In summary: I agree that it's important to find a way to study that doesn't involve being around other people. Doing problems is a great way to study on your own, and it's something you can do even if you're around other people.
Eclair_de_XII
For the past few weeks, I have been trying to review the math courses I've taken over past two years. All I can really do, though, is just read over the chapters. I acknowledge that the only way to actually (re)learn the material is to do the problems. I always tell myself that I can do it in my head and be done with it, but that's just the laziness talking on my part. But there's something else that makes studying on my own hard--studying alone. I have never been good at studying alone. The thought of it just makes me nervous and unwilling to grab a pencil and paper. I don't know why; it just does. It was okay when I was still in school and studying in the undergraduate lounge where everyone else was studying. But now, I cannot bring myself to concentrate on the material. And now that I've left school, I've no one to study with. I don't know if I can continue focusing at this rate. I'm just so very terrible at studying on my own; the solitude unnerves me far too much.

Physics news on Phys.org
Good! You have fewer distractions and fewer interruptions. If you at least have a chance to use some of what you study on-your-own in your job, then you have some possible external motivation.

Just a suggestion:smile: dear Eclair_de_XII ~ maybe you could start your day with a healthy meal and some exercise prior to your studying. Learn to have happy thoughts throughout the day.:smile:

Likes poseidon721, Comeback City and Klystron
Eclair_de_XII said:
For the past few weeks, I have been trying to review the math courses I've taken over past two years. All I can really do, though, is just read over the chapters. I acknowledge that the only way to actually (re)learn the material is to do the problems. I always tell myself that I can do it in my head and be done with it, but that's just the laziness talking on my part.
I don't know if it's fair to characterize that as laziness. Personally, I find the idea of slogging through a textbook quite boring. I think you need to cut yourself a break and consider the possibility that this isn't a good method for you at this point to review the material.

But there's something else that makes studying on my own hard--studying alone. I have never been good at studying alone. The thought of it just makes me nervous and unwilling to grab a pencil and paper. I don't know why; it just does. It was okay when I was still in school and studying in the undergraduate lounge where everyone else was studying. But now, I cannot bring myself to concentrate on the material. And now that I've left school, I've no one to study with. I don't know if I can continue focusing at this rate. I'm just so very terrible at studying on my own; the solitude unnerves me far too much.
Your procrastination and your trouble concentrating indicate to me that you simply don't want to do what you had planned to do. There's no shame in admitting that your initial plan didn't work out you thought it would. Just find a different way to achieve your goals.

For example, you could spend time helping students who post here with homework questions. You'll be motivated to actually work out the problem to make sure you don't tell someone the wrong thing. Some of the material you'll know off of the top of your head. Other stuff you may need to review before posting. Having a reason like "I need to understand this concept well so I can explain it" instead of "I should be studying this" can make all the difference in the world when reading a textbook.

Likes poseidon721, Klystron and hutchphd
The problem with "restudying" is that you'll encounter material you already know (especially from the same textbook), and gloss over it because it is too familiar to you. It's hard for me as well, because at times I don't know what I don't know so I'll read a chapter from a book from a previous course and it'll all come back to me, but superficially. As you stated, you must do the problems. The solutions: Take 30 minutes a day, and just do problems! It's only 30 minutes, and once you get into the groove, you can increase the time, or keep it at 30 minutes a day.Finding the right textbook is important, especially if you're restudying things you already know. Look for textbooks that give you a new "insight" into something. Also, youtube videos! Since we're in the information age, there is an abundance of videos out there to listen to, instead of reading. Or do both, it's your life.

Likes poseidon721
If solitude interferes with your study plan, go to public places conducive to reading such as libraries, parks, museums or coffee houses. Find a place and time of day with enough people to suit your mood where you can still concentrate on your subject.

Last edited:
Klystron said:
If you exercise, consider joining a gym where you can prop textbooks on the equipment while working out. This plan also increases the probability of meeting future study buddies.
?
?

?

Discipline - the ability to do things even when we'd prefer not to is what separates successful scientists from all the wannabees.

Welcome to the world of wannabees. You're almost there.

Likes poseidon721, MathematicalPhysicist, Vanadium 50 and 1 other person
You have asked us some variation of this question many times. You get the same advice with slight variations. Every time. And yet here we go, round and round again.

Break the cycle!

1. How can self-study be effective without the guidance of a teacher or mentor?

Self-study can be just as effective as traditional learning methods with the right approach. It's important to set clear goals, create a structured study plan, and regularly assess your progress. Utilizing online resources, joining virtual study groups, and seeking feedback from peers can also enhance the effectiveness of self-study.

2. Is self-study suitable for all types of learners?

Self-study can be beneficial for all types of learners, but it may require some adjustments based on individual learning styles. Visual learners may benefit from using diagrams or videos, while auditory learners may prefer listening to lectures or podcasts. Kinesthetic learners may need to incorporate hands-on activities or practice quizzes to reinforce their understanding.

3. How can one stay motivated while studying alone for extended periods of time?

Motivation can be a challenge when studying alone, but there are strategies that can help. Setting short-term goals, taking breaks, and rewarding yourself for accomplishments can help maintain motivation. Additionally, finding a quiet and comfortable study space, eliminating distractions, and varying study methods can also keep motivation levels high.

4. Can self-study be used to learn complex subjects or skills?

Yes, self-study can be an effective method for learning complex subjects or skills. However, it may require more dedication, discipline, and time management. Breaking down the material into smaller, more manageable chunks and seeking out additional resources or support when needed can make self-studying complex subjects more manageable.

5. What are some common challenges that people face when self-studying?

Some common challenges when self-studying include lack of motivation, difficulty staying focused, and feeling overwhelmed by the amount of material to cover. Other challenges may include not having access to resources or support, struggling to understand complex concepts, and not receiving immediate feedback. However, with proper planning and perseverance, these challenges can be overcome.