How can photons arise out of pure energy?

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of "pure energy" and its role in the creation and annihilation of particles and photons. It is ultimately concluded that the term "pure energy" is not a scientifically valid concept and is often used in a more colloquial sense. The presence of matter quantum numbers in photons is also briefly mentioned.
g.lemaitre
In the First Three Minutes, S Weinberg wrote:

These particles—electrons, positrons, neutrinos, photons— were continually being created out of pure energy, and then after short lives being annihilated again

I thought mass gives rise to pure energy in the form of photons. I didn't know pure energy could give rise to photons, I thought photons were pure energy.

Physics news on Phys.org
There is no such thing as "pure energy". That's not a scientific concept - it's science fiction, and popularizations of science sometimes steal the term. But there is no way to measure the "purity of energy", so it's not a scientific concept.

Vanadium 50 said:
There is no such thing as "pure energy". That's not a scientific concept - it's science fiction, and popularizations of science sometimes steal the term. But there is no way to measure the "purity of energy", so it's not a scientific concept.

yeah, I think the concept is just used in the sense that if you have enough energy around you can create particles and photons (conservation of energy),, but that energy didn't come in a "pure form" it was already there in the state of the particles.

Vanadium 50 said:

Of course, you are right when saying that it is no scientific concept. However, I guess that people using the term "pure energy" will usually emphasize that no matter is involved, i.e. photons do not carry any matter quantum numbers like "lepton number", "baryon number", "electric charge" etc..

Photons carry spin. The definition of "matter quantum number" looks a bit arbitrary, but I know what you mean.

1. How can photons arise out of pure energy?

This is a common question asked in the field of quantum mechanics. According to Einstein's famous equation E=mc², energy and mass are equivalent. Photons, which are particles of light, are a form of energy. When energy is converted into mass, it can result in the creation of photons.

2. Can photons be created from any form of energy?

Yes, photons can be created from any form of energy. This is known as the process of pair production, where a high-energy photon interacts with matter and produces an electron-positron pair. This is a common occurrence in high-energy environments, such as in particle accelerators or during nuclear reactions.

3. How can photons, which have no mass, arise from pure energy?

Although photons have no mass, they do have energy and momentum. According to quantum mechanics, energy and momentum are conserved quantities and cannot be created or destroyed. Therefore, when energy is converted into mass, photons are created to balance out the energy and momentum of the system.

4. What is the process of photon creation from pure energy?

The process of creating photons from pure energy is known as photon emission. This occurs when an excited atom or particle releases excess energy in the form of a photon. This process is commonly seen in light bulbs, where electricity is used to excite the atoms in the filament, resulting in the emission of photons and the production of light.

5. How does the creation of photons from pure energy relate to the theory of relativity?

The creation of photons from pure energy is a direct consequence of Einstein's theory of relativity. This theory explains the equivalence of mass and energy, which allows for the creation and conversion of photons from pure energy. Additionally, the theory of relativity also explains the behavior of photons, such as their constant speed and ability to travel through a vacuum.