Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

The big bang was a fluctuation of what?

1. Feb 10, 2016 #1
    I have read that the total energy of the universe is zero and that the big bang might have emerged from a quantum fluctuation. Also that there is a chance (extremely low) of another big bang occurring in the quantum vacuum energy fluctuations. As far as I understand the vacuum energy / dark energy was created during the big bang and continues to increase evenly as the universe expands? If this is the case what did the initial fluctuation that they speak of occur in?

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 11, 2016 #2

Drakkith

Staff: Mentor

Well, that begs the question, "Emerged from a quantum fluctuation in what?

I've not heard about this.

I believe it's more like the amount of dark energy remains constant as the universe expands, but the strength of gravity falls off, leading to an increasing rate of expansion. Anyways, I'm not sure what this fluctuation was to be honest.

4. Feb 11, 2016 #3

phinds

Gold Member
    2016 Award

Just to clarify, this part of what Drakkith said is not correct. The DENSITY of dark energy remains constant, meaning of course that the amount increases as the size of the universe increases.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook