How can the given equation be verified without using a calculator?

• MHB
  • Thread starter mathdad
  • Start date
In summary, there are several ways to verify the given equation without a calculator. One approach is to use the identity $\cos\left({\theta+\pi/2}\right)=-\sin\left({\theta}\right)$. Another is to think about it geometrically by drawing a cosine shifted to the left by $\pi/2$ and comparing it to a regular sine wave. Additionally, the cosine addition formulas can be applied if one is familiar with them. Overall, using a trig identity is often the easiest and most efficient method for verifying equations involving trigonometric functions.
mathdad
The instructions are as follows:

Use your calculator to verify the given equation.

cos (1 + pi/2) = - sin 1

I was easily able to do this with my calculator. My question, however, is: how can I verify the equation without my calculator?

Mathematics news on Phys.org
It comes right from the identity $\cos\left({\theta+\pi/2}\right)=-\sin\left({\theta}\right)$, or just think about it geometrically. Draw a cosine shifted to the left by $\pi/2$ and compare it with a regular sine wave. Or, apply the cosine addition formulas if you're familiar with them.

Another approach:

Use the identity

$$\cos(\theta\pm\varphi)=\cos(\theta)\cos(\varphi)\mp\sin(\theta)\sin(\varphi)$$

and the facts that

$$\cos\left(\frac{\pi}{2}\right)=0,\quad\sin\left(\frac{\pi}{2}\right)=1$$

greg1313 said:
Another approach:

Use the identity

$$\cos(\theta\pm\varphi)=\cos(\theta)\cos(\varphi)\mp\sin(\theta)\sin(\varphi)$$

and the facts that

$$\cos\left(\frac{\pi}{2}\right)=0,\quad\sin\left(\frac{\pi}{2}\right)=1$$

I am familiar with this identity even though it is several chapters away in my textbook. I took a class at NYC Technical College in the late 1980s called Algebra 2 and Trigonometry. We used this formula quite a bit in that class aka MA185.

- - - Updated - - -

Rido12 said:
It comes right from the identity $\cos\left({\theta+\pi/2}\right)=-\sin\left({\theta}\right)$, or just think about it geometrically. Draw a cosine shifted to the left by $\pi/2$ and compare it with a regular sine wave. Or, apply the cosine addition formulas if you're familiar with them.

Thank you but I think using the trig identity is a lot easier than graphing cosine or any of the other trig functions. I do not recall the last time I had to graph a trig function by hand. For all graphs, I just use mathway.com or wolfram.

1. What is the purpose of verifying an equation?

The purpose of verifying an equation is to ensure its accuracy and validity. By verifying an equation, we can confirm that it follows the rules and principles of mathematics, and that it accurately represents the relationship between different variables.

2. How do you verify an equation?

To verify an equation, we can use various mathematical techniques such as substitution, simplification, and algebraic manipulation. We can also use graphing or numerical methods to check the accuracy of the equation.

3. Why is it important to verify an equation?

Verifying an equation is important because it allows us to check for any errors or mistakes that may have been made during the derivation or solving process. It also ensures that the equation is applicable and relevant to the problem at hand.

4. Can an equation be verified without solving it?

Yes, an equation can be verified without solving it. As mentioned before, we can use various techniques such as substitution and simplification to check the validity of an equation without fully solving it. However, in some cases, solving the equation may be necessary to verify it.

5. What should be done if an equation cannot be verified?

If an equation cannot be verified, it may indicate that there is an error in the equation or in the problem itself. In this case, it is important to review the derivation or solving process and check for any mistakes. It may also be helpful to consult with another person or seek assistance from a math expert.