Using -x ≤ sin(x) ≤ x to prove ∫₀¹ nx sin(1/nx) dx converges to 1

  • Thread starter Thread starter henry22
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Inequality Trig
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 2K views
henry22
Messages
27
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement


I am attempting to show that [itex]-x \leq sin(x) \leq x[/itex] for x>0 and thus [itex]\int^1_0 nxsin(\frac{1}{nx})dx[/itex] converges to 1.


Homework Equations



I know that I need to use the fact that I have shown that the limit as T tends to infinity of [itex]\int^T_1 \frac{cos(x)}{\sqrt{x}}dx[/itex] exists.


The Attempt at a Solution


 
Physics news on Phys.org
henry22 said:

Homework Statement


I am attempting to show that [itex]-x \leq sin(x) \leq x[/itex] for x>0 and ...

The -x part is trivial and for the rest integrate both sides of cos(t) ≤ 1 between 0 and x, x > 0.
 
LCKurtz said:
The -x part is trivial and for the rest integrate both sides of cos(t) ≤ 1 between 0 and x, x > 0.

OK I've done this and I get the inequality I need. But can I just check, I don't understand how I have used the equation I need to in the OP?

For the second part if I know that -x<= sinx <= x then -1<=nx(sin(1/nx)) <= 1 but then I'm a bit stuck