1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Prove if sin(1/x) diverges or converges

1. Oct 17, 2013 #1
    I want to prove if sin(1/x) diverges or converges as x approaches infinity. I know the answer is diverge because the function oscillates. I want to prove it more rigorously though, for my own well being and for the exam coming up. I am having trouble with the ratio test and I rewrote the expression as
    sin(1/x)[sin^2(1/x) +cos^2(1/x)] to see if it would help but that won't because if I set b equal to sin^2(1/x) +cos^2(1/x) that is not smaller than the original expression of course so I can't use the direct comparison test. I assume I will be using the limit comparison test but I need a little kick start. Thanks.

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 17, 2013 #2

jbunniii

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Are you sure about that? What happens to ##1/x## as ##x \rightarrow \infty##?

4. Oct 17, 2013 #3

jbunniii

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Do you know this inequality? ##|\sin(x)| \leq |x|##, valid for all ##x##.

5. Oct 18, 2013 #4
    Sin(x) is a bounded function with an upper bound of 1 and a lower bound of -1. As values of x take values close to 0 then sin(x) takes values also close to 0. So in your case when x takes really big values close to infinity what does 1/x take values close to and what does that say for sin(1/x).

6. Oct 18, 2013 #5
    Both of you are saying exactly what I thought at first. I thought the function would converge because the limit of 1/x as x approaches infinity is zero. Sine of zero is zero. So I concluded that the sum converges. When I looked at the answer in the back of the book it said the series was divergent. I believed this to be true against my initial intuition when I looked at a graph of the function it does oscillate as x approaches infinity, even when I made the viewing window quite large.
    jbunniii, yes I do know that inequality. All these things are the reason I don't see the answer. I need to see clarity in this problem.

7. Oct 18, 2013 #6

D H

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

What series are you talking about?

The original post only asks about sin(1/x) as x tends to infinity. That has a well defined limit. If you are asking about something such as ##\sum_{n=1}^{\infty} \sin(\frac 1 n)##, that's a very different question than ##\lim_{x\to \infty} \sin(\frac 1 x)##.

8. Oct 19, 2013 #7
    I'm sorry. Yes i'm talking about the sum you have written above from n=1 to infinity.

9. Oct 19, 2013 #8

D H

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

You should have said so in your original post! Be specific when you ask a question. Use the proper notation. We can't read your mind.

Just because sin(1/x) converges to zero as x→∞ (which it does) does not mean that Ʃ sin(1/n) converges (which it doesn't).

10. Oct 19, 2013 #9

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

If x is very close to zero (like 1/n is for n large) then sin(x) is very close to being x. Look at the graphs near 0. Does that suggest a way to create a comparison series that is smaller but diverges?

Last edited: Oct 19, 2013
  11. Oct 21, 2013 #10
    The graph near zero is very intense. This is because the function will experiences infinitely many oscillations as it gets closer to zero correct? This problem is confusing. I can't use the alternating series test so my only option would be comparison like you said, correct? So I want a function that will be undefined at zero and most likely involves a trig function that is less than sin(1/n) that I can show the limit as n approaches infinity of this new series diverges. Do I compare it to another sine function? Since it's not an alternating series I know can't use sin(1/(n+1)). Plus, this series converges.

12. Oct 21, 2013 #11

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

1/n is near 0 for large n. That's where you are concerned with an estimate of sin. I meant look at the graphs of sin(x) and x near 0.

13. Oct 26, 2013 #12
    Sorry it took so long to reply. I believe I have the answer though. If I use the limit comparison test with 1/n as my series to compare I get the correct answer. I didn't know that you could use expressions within a trigonometric function as your series to compare.

14. Oct 26, 2013 #13

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Any test is free game as long as it works. You could also do a direct comparison test with 1/(2n) since 1/(2n)<=sin(1/n) when n is large.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted