How can the kernel of a ring morphism be a subring?

• Thread starter PsychonautQQ
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Kernel Ring
In summary: R if and only if ker(f) = {x: x\in R, f(x)= 0_S }. In summary, the kernel of a morphism is a subring of the pre-image ring if and only if the homomorphism maps the multiplicative identity to itself.
PsychonautQQ
I don't understand this page, https://www.proofwiki.org/wiki/Kernel_of_Ring_Homomorphism_is_Subring, but how can this be a true statement? Wouldn't a ring morphism map the multiplicitive identity to itself? So it wouldn't be in the kernel, so how could the kernel be a subring?

I happened upon this whilst trying to figure out why the kernel of a morphism is an ideal in the pre-image ring or whatever. Anyone enlighten me and alleviate my confusion?

Physics news on Phys.org
PsychonautQQ said:
Wouldn't a ring morphism map the multiplicitive identity to itself? So it wouldn't be in the kernel, so how could the kernel be a subring?

The kernel consists of those elements in the group that are mapped to the identity by the homomorphism. Since the identity is mapped to the identity, it is one of those elements that is mapped to the identiy. Hence the identity is an element of the kernel.

Likes PsychonautQQ
Wait, i thought Ker(a) = {a(r) = 0 | for all r in R}. I understand that this is mapping all the elements to the additive identity, but rings also have a multiplicative identity? How does the kernel of a mapping have both 0 and 1 when 0 maps to 0 and 1 maps to 1?

PsychonautQQ said:
Wait, i thought Ker(a) = {a(r) = 0 | for all r in R}. I understand that this is mapping all the elements to the additive identity

You mean "...that this is the set of elements that are mapped to the identity" - but I see what you are getting at. I'd put the question this way:

if we have a homorphism [itex]f [/itex] from ring [itex] R [/itex] to ring [itex] S [/itex] then must [itex] ker(f) [/itex] be a subring of [itex]R [/itex] ? It seems that if mathematicians have defined things in a nice way that it should be.

However, if we define [itex] ker(f) = \{ x: x\in R, f(x)= 0_S \} [/itex] then a multiplicative identity [itex] 1_R [/itex] in [itex] R [/itex] isn't necessarily an element of [itex] ker(f) [/itex]. How shall we fix this? Shall we let [itex] ker(f) [/itex] be a ring by using definition of "ring" that doesn't require it have a multiplicative identity? Shall we change the definition of [itex] ker(f) [/itex] ?

You have to figure out which definition of "ring" and which definition of a "homomorphism between rings" will govern. For example, there is Wikipedia http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ring_homomorphism versus Wolfram http://mathworld.wolfram.com/RingHomomorphism.html. The Wikipedia definition assumes a "ring" has a multiplicative identity. Wolfram uses a definition of a "ring" that doesn't require it to have a multiplicative identity.

What ProofWiki thinks about math is hard to decypher. ProofWiki appears to be an attempt to write minimalist proofs. Such proofs depend on subtle properties of definitions and long chains of theorems. If you try to trace back how ProofWiki defines a "ring", you follow links till you get to a page on semirings that has a warning that it is being "refactored".

Likes PsychonautQQ
I'm new to math and algebra in general, but I was under the impression that structures as fundamental to modern algebra as a ring would have a solid definition. Should I not be surprised? Both of the definitions are valid?

PsychonautQQ said:
Both of the definitions are valid?

Mathematics being a cultural endeavor, I'd say both the definitions are "encountered". Within one context, you obviously shouldn't use them simultaneously.

The reliable theorem appears to be that [itex] ker(f) [/itex] of a homomorphism of rings [itex] f:R \rightarrow S [/itex] is an ideal of the ring [itex] R [/itex].

Likes PsychonautQQ
When I learned abstract algebra, I learned that a ring need not have a multiplicative identity. It was a surprise to me that in some texts, such as the Wikipedia, the definition is changed to include a multiplicative identity. Wikipedia calls a structure which I learned is called a ring a rng (for which a mulrtiplicative identity is not assumed). Frankly, I don't understand at all why one should change the old definition of ring.

Likes PsychonautQQ

1. How is the kernel of a ring morphism defined?

The kernel of a ring morphism is the set of elements in the domain that are mapped to the additive identity element in the codomain. In other words, it is the set of all elements that get mapped to 0.

2. How can the kernel of a ring morphism be a subring?

The kernel of a ring morphism can be a subring because it satisfies all the criteria of a subring. It is a subset of the original ring, it contains the additive identity element, and it is closed under addition and multiplication.

3. Can the kernel of a ring morphism be empty?

Yes, the kernel of a ring morphism can be empty if the morphism is injective. This means that no elements in the domain are mapped to 0 in the codomain, so the kernel is empty.

4. Is the kernel of a ring morphism always a proper subring?

No, the kernel of a ring morphism may not always be a proper subring. It can be the entire ring itself if the morphism is the zero morphism, which maps all elements in the domain to 0 in the codomain.

5. How does the kernel of a ring morphism relate to the concept of a homomorphism?

The kernel of a ring morphism is related to the concept of a homomorphism in that it is a fundamental property of a homomorphism. A homomorphism must map the additive identity element to the additive identity element, and the kernel captures this property by containing all elements that map to 0.