1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Image of ring hom is ideal, kernel is subring.

1. Jun 15, 2011 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Let [itex] \phi: R \to S [/itex] be a ring homomorphism from R to S. What can you say about [itex] \phi [/itex] if its image [itex] \text{im}\phi [/itex] is an ideal of S? What can you say about [itex] \phi [/itex] if its kernel [itex] \ker \phi[/itex] is a subring (w unity) of R?

3. The attempt at a solution

I think the second one is easy. Since [itex] \ker \phi [/itex] is a subring with unity, we have that [itex] \phi(1_R) = 0_S [/itex]. But it is necessary that [itex] \phi(1_R) = 1_S [/itex] since [itex] \phi [/itex] is a homomorphism. Thus [itex] \phi \equiv 0 [/itex] the trivial homomorphism. I think this is all I can say about this.

The second one is a bit trickier. I want to say that [itex] \phi [/itex] is surjective, and here is my reasoning. If [itex] \text{im}\phi [/itex] is an ideal, then for all [itex] s \in S, t \in \text{im}\phi [/itex] we get that [itex] st \in \text{im}\phi [/itex]. Let [itex] u, v \in R [/itex] be such that [itex] \phi(u) = s, \phi(v) = st [/itex], then
    [tex] \phi(v) = st = s \phi(u) [/tex]
    So now I want to be able to say that there is necessarily a [itex] w \in R [/itex] such that [itex] \phi(w) = s [/itex], but I can't quite see how to get there.

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 15, 2011 #2

micromass

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

That's not all you can say about this. How can [itex]\phi[/itex] ever be the trivial homomorphism 0 if [itex]\phi(1_R)=1_S[/itex]. The only way phi can ever be trivial is if [itex]\phi(1_R)=0[/itex]. Thus...

Can you do something with the information that [itex]1_S\in im(\phi)[/itex]?

4. Jun 15, 2011 #3
    I had thought that first part was a bit fishy. My first inclination was to declare that S had to be the zero-ring, though the question asks what we can say about the homomorphism not what we can say about the codomain. Is this what you were going for?

Haha, I just figured out what you meant about 1 in the image. Obviously, if unity is in the ideal, the ideal is the whole ring, so the function is surjective.

Thanks.

5. Jun 15, 2011 #4

micromass

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

Yes, this was what I meant. S has to be the zero ring, and phi has to be trivial!

Indeed!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook