How can the transitivity of the sup metric on bounded sequences be proven?

  • Thread starter Thread starter bobby2k
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Metric
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
3 replies · 2K views
bobby2k
Messages
126
Reaction score
2

Homework Statement


A sequence [itex]\{x_{n}\}[/itex] of real numbers is called bounded if there is a number M such that |[itex]x_{n}[/itex]| ≤M for all n. Let X be the set of all bounded sequences, show that
[itex]d(\{x_{n}\},\{y_{n}\})=sup \{|x_{n}-y_{n}| :n \in N \}[/itex] is a metric on X.The only part I am struggling with is the transivity part. As I see it, I have to show that:

[itex]sup \{|x_{n}-y_{n}| :n \in N \}≤sup \{|x_{n}-z_{n}| :n \in N \}+sup \{|z_{n}-y_{n}| :n \in N \}[/itex]Do you guys have any tips on how to show this? The problem is that I can not be sure that I have an n where I get the sup value, and even if I did, this n might be different for the three parts.
 
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
bobby2k said:

Homework Statement


A sequence [itex]\{x_{n}\}[/itex] of real numbers is called bounded if there is a number M such that |[itex]x_{n}[/itex]| ≤M for all n. Let X be the set of all bounded sequences, show that
[itex]d(\{x_{n}\},\{y_{n}\})=sup \{|x_{n}-y_{n}| :n \in N \}[/itex] is a metric on X.


The only part I am struggling with is the transivity part. As I see it, I have to show that:

[itex]sup \{|x_{n}-y_{n}| :n \in N \}≤sup \{|x_{n}-z_{n}| :n \in N \}+sup \{|z_{n}-y_{n}| :n \in N \}[/itex]


Do you guys have any tips on how to show this? The problem is that I can not be sure that I have an n where I get the sup value, and even if I did, this n might be different for the three parts.

Start with ##|x_n-y_n|\le |x_n-z_n|+|z_n-y_n|## and take the sup of both sides. Then compare what that gives with the right side of your expression.
 
LCKurtz said:
Start with ##|x_n-y_n|\le |x_n-z_n|+|z_n-y_n|## and take the sup of both sides. Then compare what that gives with the right side of your expression.

It became a little messy, can I simplify?

##
|x_{n}-y_{n}|≤ |x_{n}-z_{n}|+|z_{n}-y_{n}| \forall n ## (1)
##
|x_{n}-z_{n}| ≤ sup\{|x_{n}-z_{n}| : n \in N \} \forall n ## (2)
##|z_{n}-y_{n}| ≤ sup\{|z_{n}-y_{n}| : n \in N \} \forall n ## (3)So if I put 2 and 3 in 1 I get:
##|x_{n}-y_{n}|≤ sup\{|x_{n}-z_{n}| : n \in N \} + sup\{|z_{n}-y_{n}| : n \in N \} \forall n ## (4)

Hence ##sup\{|x_{n}-z_{n}| : n \in N \} + sup\{|z_{n}-y_{n}| : n \in N \} ## is an upper bound for ##\{|x_{n}-y_{n}| :n\in N\}##. So it must also be bigger than the least upper bound for this set. Hence:
##sup\{|x_{n}-y_{n}| : n \in N \} ≤ sup\{|x_{n}-z_{n}| : n \in N \} +sup\{|z_{n}-y_{n}| : n \in N \} ##

Is this the simplest way do it, or is it a simpler way?
 
Last edited:
bobby2k said:
It became a little messy, can I simplify?

##
|x_{n}-y_{n}|≤ |x_{n}-z_{n}|+|z_{n}-y_{n}| \forall n ## (1)
##
|x_{n}-z_{n}| ≤ sup\{|x_{n}-z_{n}| : n \in N \} \forall n ## (2)
##|z_{n}-y_{n}| ≤ sup\{|z_{n}-y_{n}| : n \in N \} \forall n ## (3)


So if I put 2 and 3 in 1 I get:
##|x_{n}-y_{n}|≤ sup\{|x_{n}-z_{n}| : n \in N \} + sup\{|z_{n}-y_{n}| : n \in N \} \forall n ## (4)

Hence ##sup\{|x_{n}-z_{n}| : n \in N \} + sup\{|z_{n}-y_{n}| : n \in N \} ## is an upper bound for ##\{|x_{n}-y_{n}| :n\in N\}##. So it must also be bigger than the least upper bound for this set. Hence:
##sup\{|x_{n}-y_{n}| : n \in N \} ≤ sup\{|x_{n}-z_{n}| : n \in N \} +sup\{|z_{n}-y_{n}| : n \in N \} ##

Is this the simplest way do it, or is it a simpler way?

There may be slightly nicer ways to write it up but I see nothing wrong with your argument.