How can the universe be infinite, if it has a finite age?

In summary, the conversation discusses the concepts of a finite and infinite universe. The speaker is struggling to understand how the universe can be infinite if it has only been around for 13.7 billion years and is also curious about the idea of a finite universe expanding forever. They mention watching videos and reading articles on the topic and have questions about the shape and size of the universe. The expert summarizer explains that the universe may have been infinite at the Big Bang and that the idea of expansion refers to the distance between galaxies, not the size of the universe itself. The concept of the "observable universe" is also mentioned, as well as the possibility of the universe being infinitely bigger than what we can see.
Thomas1989
Morning everyone,

I apologize for bringing up a topic that has probably been discussed to death here in the past. I've been reading the FAQ, and a few old threads about finite vs infinite universe, but I'm still struggling to grasp both of these ideas. I'd be really grateful if someone could help me better understand them, I have just a few questions.

My first question is, how is it possible to have an infinite universe if we know it has only been around for 13.7 billion years? Is it possible that the universe had infinite spatial volume even during the Big Bang, as it was first expanding? How does this make sense? This is something that actually kept me awake last night. :shy:

I'm also stuck on the idea of a finite universe, though this seems a bit easier to comprehend than an infinite one. I watched a YouTube video of Carl Sagan explaining a finite but boundless universe, followed by a video on how the universe is expanding. I also read an article by NASA which predicted that the universe will expand forever! Here is the link, just in case. http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-1304684/Nasa-scientists-discover-Universe-expand-forever.html

What I'd like to know is, does it even make sense to say the universe is finite, even though it is still expanding and will continue to expand forever? I have a mental picture of a sphere constantly inflating, but this is probably very wrong. I suppose while I'm at it, I'd like to throw in the question, does the universe need to be curved to be finite?

Thanks for your time.

Space news on Phys.org
Its possible that the universe was infinite at the big bang and so it will still be infinite now. When cosmologists say the universe is expanding what they mean is the distance between galaxies is growing over time; not that the universe has a certain known size which is growing over time. When they say the universe was small at the big bang they mean the "observable universe" which does have a known size and is growing over time. But we can't say that for what is beyond our horizon. The universe is bigger than what we can see, infinitely bigger? Maybe.

1. How can the universe be infinite if it has a finite age?

The concept of the universe being infinite refers to its size and extent, while its age refers to the amount of time that has passed since the Big Bang. These two concepts are not contradictory. The universe could have always existed in some form, but the current observable universe has a finite age. Additionally, the expansion of the universe is ongoing, meaning that it is continuously growing in size and could potentially be infinite in the future.

2. How do we know the age of the universe?

The age of the universe is estimated by studying the cosmic microwave background (CMB) radiation. This is the leftover radiation from the Big Bang that permeates the entire universe. Scientists use advanced telescopes and instruments to study the CMB and determine its temperature and pattern. By analyzing this data, they can calculate the age of the universe to be around 13.8 billion years old.

3. Does the finite age of the universe contradict the concept of an infinite universe?

No, the finite age of the universe does not necessarily contradict the idea of an infinite universe. As mentioned before, the universe could have always existed in some form, but the observable universe that we know and study has a finite age. It is also important to note that our understanding of the universe is continuously evolving, and new discoveries and theories may provide a better understanding of its size and age.

4. What evidence supports the idea of an infinite universe?

There is currently no direct evidence that proves the universe is infinite. However, the theory of cosmic inflation suggests that the early universe underwent a rapid expansion, which could explain why the universe appears to be so uniform on a large scale. This theory also suggests that the universe could be infinite in size.

5. How does the concept of an infinite universe impact our understanding of time and space?

The idea of an infinite universe challenges our understanding of time and space. If the universe is infinite, then it has no boundaries or edges. This can be difficult for us to comprehend, as our daily experiences and observations are limited by boundaries and distances. It also raises questions about the concept of time and whether it has a beginning or an end in an infinite universe.