1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

How can we determine lagrangian density?

1. Feb 11, 2007 #1
    we know the lagrangian l=ke-pe right
    in case of fields is called "lagrangian density"
    let particle with mass "m" and position "x"
    it kientic energy= 1/2(mv^2)
    so lagrangian =1/2(mv^2)-v(x) , v(x)=potential energy
    in case the field lagrangian density
    how can i determine the lagragian density?
    for klein gordon eq
    dirac eq and any field
    please any one help
  2. jcsd
  3. Feb 11, 2007 #2

note: Im not sure about my answer.
    I think that if you have the Klein Gordon eq then you can find the lagrangian density by bulding lagrangian which the El eq for this lagrangian is exactly the Klein Gordon eq.
    In the same way you can do for dirac eq
    Last edited: Feb 11, 2007
  4. Feb 11, 2007 #3
    The Lagrangian density is the Lagrangian per unit volume.

As for spin-0 and spin-1/2 systems you need to first determine the object that satisfies the required transformation laws (e.g. spinor, wavefunction etc.) and then try and find suitable scalars that you can build out of these quantities.

This Wikipedia article presents some Lagrangians for the electromagnetic field, the electron field and the interaction between the two.
  5. Sep 27, 2008 #4
    It’s also my question。
    It seems only for fields or continuous media we can talk about lagrangian density. for a particle it somewhat hard to do this.

but still, we can treat a particle as something with a considerable volume, and its lagrangian density is nothing but L/v,with L=lagrangian,v is it volume. and so lagrangian density in the "particle" keep unchanged.

it was only my opinion
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?