How Can We Measure and Explain the Gyroscopic Stability of a Yo-Yo?

  • Thread starter Thread starter boarder007
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Stability
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
3 replies · 3K views
boarder007
Messages
2
Reaction score
0
hi I'm from belgium and I've got a problem...
We have to do a science project and I have chose to study the yoyo
But now we got problems... we need to calculate the rotation speed but the yoyo goes to fast and we can't see it ... we have tried with a camera but still it's to fast?
Is there anybody that can help me with measurements?
other problem is the gyroscopic stability... when you remove weigt at one side, the yoyo is turning but I can't explain why? can somebody help me with these problems...
:cry:
 
Physics news on Phys.org
1. What kind of equipment do you have for measuring? Perhaps a video camera that has a slow motion playback?

2. Are you familiar with Newton's second law in rotational form?

[tex]\vec{\tau}_{NET}=\frac{d\vec{L}}{dt}[/tex]
 
I don't now anything of it :confused:
I thing it has all to do with the momento... :confused: more mass how bigger the momento ...
 
What's "momento"? Do you mean "moment" (as in "torque"), or do you mean "momentum"?