How Can You Derive the Formula for the nth Power of a Triangular Matrix?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
4 replies · 2K views
U.Renko
Messages
56
Reaction score
1

Homework Statement



find a formula for [itex]\begin{bmatrix}<br /> 1 & 1& 1\\ <br /> 0& 1& 1\\ <br /> 0& 0 & 1<br /> \end{bmatrix} ^n[/itex]

and prove it by induction


the induction part is ok.
I'm just having trouble finding a pattern
I may have figured it out but it looks too cumbersome

Homework Equations





The Attempt at a Solution



Lets call that matrix A

I computed A^2 through A^5 and noticed a pattern:

[itex]A^2 = \begin{bmatrix}<br /> 1 & 2&3\\ <br /> 0& 1& 2\\ <br /> 0& 0 & 1<br /> \end{bmatrix}[/itex]

[itex]A^3 = \begin{bmatrix}<br /> 1 & 3& 6\\ <br /> 0& 1& 3\\<br /> 0& 0 & 1<br /> \end{bmatrix}[/itex]

[itex]a^4 = \begin{bmatrix}<br /> 1 & 4& 10\\ <br /> 0& 1& 4\\ <br /> 0& 0 & 1<br /> \end{bmatrix}[/itex]


so the pattern is :
below the diagonal is always 0
the diagonal is always 1
[itex]a_12 = a_23 = n[/itex]
[itex]a_13 = some number[/itex] that's where I had trouble figuring the pattern

I noticed that, it is also the sum of the elements in the first row of A^(n-1) but that is a bit awkward to generalize.
 
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
This is a fun little problem, just do the computation for a couple small n and the the pattern should be easy to pick out.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: 1 person
ok, here is what I've done and why I said it looked cumbersome

I thought about how [itex]a_{1,3}[/itex] came up in the matrices:
following the multiplicattion of matrices procedure.
it is the sum of [itex]1*1 + 1*(n-1)[/itex] plus 1 times the [itex]a_{1,3}[/itex] element of the [itex]A^{n-1}[/itex] matrix.

thus
if n=2
we add 1+1+1=3
if n=3
we add 1+2+3=6
if n=4
we add 1+3+6=10

so, the element [itex]a_{13}[/itex] of [itex]A^n[/itex] is always [itex]1 + (n-1) + something[/itex]

then I took as an example n =4
in this case we have
1+ (4-1) + [1+(4-2) +[1 +(4-3) +[ 1 +[4-4] ] ] ]
in other words
1+ 3+ 1 + 2 + 1+1+1
which is:
4 + (1+2+3)
which I expressed as
[itex]n + \sigma[/itex] where [itex]\sigma = \sum_{i=1}^{n-1}i[/itex] the formula asked then becomes: [itex]\begin{bmatrix}<br /> 1 & n & n+ \sigma\\ <br /> 0 & 1 & n\\ <br /> 0& 0 & 1<br /> \end{bmatrix}[/itex]that is where I thought was too cumbersome and was wondering if there is a simpler way
 
kduna said:
Isn't [itex]n + \sigma = \sum_{i=1}^n i[/itex]?


well, indeed it is.

so now the formula becomes [itex]A^n = \begin{bmatrix}<br /> 1 & n & \frac{n(n+1)}{2} \\ <br /> 0& 1& n\\ <br /> 0&0 & 1<br /> \end{bmatrix}[/itex]

and then is just using induction

thanks a lot!