How Can You Determine Inductance and Resistance in an LC Circuit?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
8 replies · 4K views
jayjay112
Messages
36
Reaction score
0
A constant voltage at a frequency of 1MHz is maintained across a circut consisting of the inductor in series with a variable capacitor. When the capacitor is set to 300pF the current has its max value. When the capacitor is reduced to 284pF the current is 0.707 of its ma value. Find

The inductance and the resistance of the inductor





Im not sure if I am using the correct formula.

f=[1/(2.pi)] x [1/(square root of (L).(C)]

f=frequency
L=Inductance
C=capacitance

L = 1/[(300x10^-12) x (2,000,000.pi)^2]

=337micro H

What formula could I use to find the resistance of the inductor?
 
Physics news on Phys.org
use the second pair of info, and the formula for the current in an RLC circuit...
 
Thaakisfox said:
use the second pair of info

What do you mean by use the second pair of info?

Thanks for your help
 
well you know that when the capacity is 284pF then the current is 0.707 times the max...

So use the general formula for the current (containing R) and make it equal to 0.707 times the max current...
 
Thaakisfox said:
well you know that when the capacity is 284pF then the current is 0.707 times the max...

So use the general formula for the current (containing R) and make it equal to 0.707 times the max current...

oh thanks,

so is the first part correct??
 
rl.bhat said:
I = 0.707Imax when XL - XC = R


So i use this formula

I = V.R.C/L

I(max) = [V. R. (300x10^-12)] / (337x10^-6)

and then I = 0.707 I(max)

But i don't know V?