How can you find the relative extrema of |1+\sqrt[3]{x}|?

  • Level: Undergrad 
  • Thread starter Thread starter John O' Meara
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Extrema Relative
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
3 replies · 3K views
John O' Meara
Messages
325
Reaction score
0
Use any method to find the relative extrema of [tex]|1+\sqrt[3]{x}|[/tex].
I get the following [tex]|1+\sqrt[3]{x}| = \left\{\begin{array}{cc} 1+\sqrt[3]{x}, & \mbox{if} x >-1 \\ -1-\sqrt[3]{x}, & \mbox{if} x<-1\end{array}\right[/tex]
Using the first derivative test, I get [tex]f'(x) = \frac{1}{3x^{2/3}} \mbox{and} -\frac{1}{3x^{2/3}}[/tex]. These suggest that there is a relative extremum at x=0 but not at x=-1, actually it is an inflection point at x=0. What is next? Maybe I am confused about absolute values! I think I have the function piece wise ok.Please help. Thanks.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
At x=0, the derivative is infinite. I am confused about what you are confused about.
 
Should not f'(x) =0 show a relative minimum at x=-1, i.e., if f(x) is differentiable at x=-1. According to my graphing calculator there is a relative minimum at x=-1. But I do not know to find the relative minimum at x=-1 by calculus? Thanks.
 
f(x) is not differentiable at x=-1.

That can be seen by the different values the right-hand derivative and left-hand derivative gets there.

Thus, x=-1 is a sharp corner, and it is, indeed, a relative extremum.