How Can You Linearise a Cosine Curve for g-forces in Physics?

  • Thread starter Thread starter Maluras
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Cosine Curve
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 2K views
Maluras
Messages
1
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement



For my physics EEI, I have developed the formula: g-forces=√(391.88-337.12 cosθ)/9.8

I need to linearise the graph into the form y=mx+c.

I'm not sure where just the angle is the independent or cos of the angle.

Homework Equations



y=k√(x) can be graphed as y vs. √(x) to linearise

The Attempt at a Solution



The square root of a negative is undefined, therefore √(cosθ) is unable to be done for all values
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Maluras said:

Homework Statement



For my physics EEI, I have developed the formula: g-forces=√(391.88-337.12 cosθ)/9.8

I need to linearise the graph into the form y=mx+c.

I'm not sure where just the angle is the independent or cos of the angle.

Homework Equations



y=k√(x) can be graphed as y vs. √(x) to linearise

The Attempt at a Solution



The square root of a negative is undefined, therefore √(cosθ) is unable to be done for all values
Hello Maluras. Welcome to PF !

Is (391.88-337.12 cosθ ) ever negative?

-1 ≤ cos(θ) ≤ 1

Multiply by -337.12 then add 391.88 .

What's your conclusion regarding the range of (391.88-337.12 cosθ ) ?