Parabolic motion along a frictionless path

In summary, the conversation discussed a problem involving a small steel spherical object moving along a parabolic curve with certain initial conditions. The first question asked about the slope angle of the object's orbit after being released from point B, and the second question asked for the time it takes for the object to reach a point C with the same horizontal level as point O. The conversation involved using equations and concepts from projectile motion and calculus to solve the problem.
thevinciz

Homework Statement

A sufficiently small steel smooth spherical object is initially at rest at point A on the smooth surface of a finite parabolic curve AOB in a vertical plane as shown in Fig.3-1, where the point O stands for the bottom point, the tangential line at O being horizontal, the vertical height at point A (relative to O) being 2H, the vertical height at point B (relative to O) being H, the horizontal distance between B and O being 2H. At time t=0, the object is released slowly to move down frictionlessly along the curve toward point B, where it departs into the air. The effects of the rotation of the object around its center is assumed to be negligible.
1526446037044.jpg

(1) The slope angle of the object orbit measured from the horizontal level just after release in the air at B is

(2)Finally the object will reach a point C with the same horizontal level as that at O. The necessary time to travel to C from B is

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

For the question1, I got the speed at point B = square root of 2gH. Then I named the angle which question asked, θ, so I got speed in y-axis and x-axis, (square root of 2gH)sinθ and (square root of 2gH)cosθ ,respectively. And I tried to find the θ by combined the 2 speed into triangle picture but it was not a correct way to find the answer.
(I only know that the correct answer is 45°)

For the question2, I used a projectile range's formula R=v^2sin2θ/g and I got R=2H. From S=vt (x-axis), 2H= (square root of 2gH)cos45°t, then I got time = (square root of H/g)*2 but it was wrong answer because the correct answer is (1+square root of 3)*square root of H/g.

Attachments

• 15682801_1219414488093677_549125350_n.jpg
    15682801_1219414488093677_549125350_n.jpg
    50.2 KB · Views: 460
  • 1526446037044.jpg
    1526446037044.jpg
    3 KB · Views: 1,001
Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
thevinciz said:

Homework Statement

A sufficiently small steel smooth spherical object is initially at rest at point A on the smooth surface of a finite parabolic curve AOB in a vertical plane as shown in Fig.3-1, where the point O stands for the bottom point, the tangential line at O being horizontal, the vertical height at point A (relative to O) being 2H, the vertical height at point B (relative to O) being H, the horizontal distance between B and O being 2H. At time t=0, the object is released slowly to move down frictionlessly along the curve toward point B, where it departs into the air. The effects of the rotation of the object around its center is assumed to be negligible.
View attachment 225802

(1) The slope angle of the object orbit measured from the horizontal level just after release in the air at B is

(2)Finally the object will reach a point C with the same horizontal level as that at O. The necessary time to travel to C from B is

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

For the question1, I got the speed at point B = square root of 2gH. Then I named the angle which question asked, θ, so I got speed in y-axis and x-axis, (square root of 2gH)sinθ and (square root of 2gH)cosθ ,respectively. And I tried to find the θ by combined the 2 speed into triangle picture but it was not a correct way to find the answer.
(I only know that the correct answer is 45°)

For the question2, I used a projectile range's formula R=v^2sin2θ/g and I got R=2H. From S=vt (x-axis), 2H= (square root of 2gH)cos45°t, then I got time = (square root of H/g)*2 but it was wrong answer because the correct answer is (1+square root of 3)*square root of H/g.
For part (1), I would be making use of the fact the AOB path is part of a parabola.
Comparing it to the y = ax^2 parabola, we can use the horizontal distance from 0 to B, and the vertical distance from O to B to find out the value of a, and then calculus to find the track angle.

Question 1: from vB2 = vB2cos2θ + vB2sin2θ just gives an identity without being able to solve for θ.
But you can use vx^2 + vy^2 = vB2 by combining with the slope of the parabola at point B.

Question 2 is elementary since the sphere is no longer constrained by the parabolic track.

rude man said:
Question 1: from vB2 = vB2cos2θ + vB2sin2θ just gives an identity without being able to solve for θ.
But you can use vx^2 + vy^2 = vB2 by combining with the slope of the parabola at point B.

Question 2 is elementary since the sphere is no longer constrained by the parabolic track.

I don’t understand question2, could you explain more?

thevinciz said:
I don’t understand question2, could you explain more?
You know the initial height "above ground" and initial x and y velocities of a launched mass, and you're asked for the time to "hit the ground"; this is a very elementary problem you should be able to handle even with high school physics.

(A MUCH more difficult problem would have been to compute the time from A to O or O to C since for that portion of the trajectory there are more forces than just gravity acting on the sphere.)

rude man said:
You know the initial height "above ground" and initial x and y velocities of a launched mass, and you're asked for the time to "hit the ground"; this is a very elementary problem you should be able to handle even with high school physics.

I got the answer now by calculating y-axis with S=ut+1/2at^2. But I don’t know why my first method was wrong. I hope you could explain me.
Thanks

thevinciz said:
I got the answer now by calculating y-axis with S=ut+1/2at^2. But I don’t know why my first method was wrong. I hope you could explain me.
Thanks
The range formula you quoted assumes the launch and landing are at the same height.

Likes thevinciz

1. What is parabolic motion along a frictionless path?

Parabolic motion along a frictionless path is a type of motion in which an object moves along a curved path called a parabola. This type of motion occurs when an object is thrown or launched at an angle, with no external forces such as friction acting on it.

2. What is the equation for parabolic motion along a frictionless path?

The equation for parabolic motion along a frictionless path is y = -x² + ax + b, where y is the vertical position of the object, x is the horizontal position, a is the coefficient of the x² term, and b is the y-intercept.

3. How does the angle of launch affect parabolic motion along a frictionless path?

The angle of launch affects parabolic motion along a frictionless path by determining the initial velocity and direction of the object. A higher angle of launch will result in a longer and narrower parabola, while a lower angle of launch will result in a shorter and wider parabola.

4. What is the difference between parabolic motion along a frictionless path and parabolic motion with friction?

The main difference between parabolic motion along a frictionless path and parabolic motion with friction is the presence of external forces. In parabolic motion along a frictionless path, there are no external forces acting on the object, while in parabolic motion with friction, there is a force of friction present that will affect the motion of the object.

5. What are some real-life examples of parabolic motion along a frictionless path?

Some real-life examples of parabolic motion along a frictionless path include the motion of a projectile, such as a baseball being thrown, a ball being kicked, or a rocket being launched. The trajectories of these objects follow a parabolic path due to the absence of external forces like air resistance or friction.