Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

How can you smash glass without physical contact?

1. Dec 30, 2011 #1
    Hi

I was just wondering what ways you can smash glass without physically touching/breaking/throwing something at it. For example, I know that the "force" of an explosion can break glass that is a fair distance away from the actual explosion. So is there any way you could make something that would break glass from a distance of say, 2-10 metres that isn't a bomb, or is a bomb but doesn't cause the damage of a normal bomb, if that makes sense?

I know it's possible with sound, but it's too impractical in this scenario.

Are there any other alternatives?

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 30, 2011 #2
    The "sound" could be a frequency that humans can't hear, if "noise" is an issue, etc.

You could throw IT about 2-10 m away so it breaks itself.

You could also balance it on an ice cube, and when it melts, the glass will fall and break, etc.

A thermal shock can break glass.

Depending on the glass itself, composition, form factors, etc...there can be other options.

4. Dec 30, 2011 #3
    Thanks for the reply.

Sound is not an issue, with practcality I meant it needs to be portable, using sound would require big speakers, amps, etc.

Thermal Shock sounds interesting but it wouldn't be practical.

Is there any way to create some sort of 'explosion' that would break glass but not cause an actual explosion.. if that makes sense?

5. Dec 30, 2011 #4

berkeman

Staff: Mentor

What is the application?

6. Dec 30, 2011 #5
    I've already explained haven't I?

7. Dec 30, 2011 #6

berkeman

Staff: Mentor

Nope. Why do you want to break glass at a distance? Is this a window? We have a prohibition at the PF about discussing dangerous activities, and I'm trying to figure out what to do with this thread...

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook