1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

How can you tell if the interaction is isotropic?

1. Feb 13, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A teenager has a car that accelerates at 3.00 m/s2 and decelerates at -4.50 m/s2. On a trip to the store, he accelerates from rest to 16.5 m/s, drives at a constant speed for 5.00 s, and then comes to a momentary stop at the corner. He then accelerates to 18.0 m/s, drives at a constant speed for 15.0 s, and decelerates for 2.67 s. Then he continues for 4.00 s at this speed and comes to a stop.

2. Relevant equations
    (a) How long does the trip take?
    (b) How far has he traveled?
    (c) What is his average speed for the trip?
    (d) How long would it take to walk to the store and back if he walks at 1.50 m/s?

3. The attempt at a solution
    I don't know which equations and what numbers to use. Any help on how I can find out which numbers are the ones I need and which equation I should use?

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 13, 2008 #2

mgb_phys

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Get some graph paper and draw a diagram.
    Put time along the bottom and speed up the side.
    The area under the graph is the distance.

Then when you understand it you can use s=ut + 1/2 at^2 to solve each section.

4. Feb 13, 2008 #3
    I've actually done that but I'm still confused.

5. Feb 13, 2008 #4

mgb_phys

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

You should be able to easily plot the speed at each point in time - it's just a series of straight lines.

So we assume all accel is 3m/s^2 and all braking is -4.5m/s^2 (actually if you are going to say deceleration and have a negative vallue that cancels out and implies aceleration ...)

Use v = u + a t with 3.0 m/s^2 to get 't'

Easy

Use v=u + a t again with -4.5m/s^2

Use v = u + a t with 3.0 m/s^2 to get 't'

Easy

Easy

Then the time you can just read of the axis.
    The distance is the integral (ie the area under the curve)
    And the average speed is just distance/time

6. Feb 13, 2008 #5
    Is it the same thing as finding the X and Y components? If not I'm confused. I was never really good at physics anyways.

7. Feb 14, 2008 #6
    I got the time the trip takes. All I really need now is how far he traveled, but I am having trouble figuring out how to get this. Any help?

Edit: I solved it :D

Last edited: Feb 14, 2008
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?