How close are we to Deep Dive/Full Immersion VR?

• Thread starter Obsessed With Gaming
  • Start date
In summary: Resident Evil or God of War.In summary, by 2039, Neuralink, NerveGear, exo-skeletons, OpenWorld VR, and possibly other technologies may allow us to achieve a simulated reality that is indistinguishable from the real world. This may be a replacement for reality for some people, but others may still want to live in the real world. However, it is still unclear whether tactile feedback, taste, and other senses will be able to be replicated in a virtual reality.
Obsessed With Gaming
Will it happen within our lifetime ( in 30-70 years)?

By using Elon Musk's Neuralink (Neural Lace 2039?) ,NerveGear, exo-skeletons, OpenWorld VR maybe?

And if we were to achieve this would anyone still want to live in the real world apart from people who are maintaining the system and certain religious groups?(or at least take breaks from full dive VR)

And is VR a replacement for reality

Technology news on Phys.org
A 3-D version of this might be what you are looking for (the long-term story building in the game is pretty amazing, despite the violent parts)...

https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/51v7gSMfU3L._AC_US218_.jpg

51v7gSMfU3L._AC_US218_.jpg

Obsessed With Gaming said:
And if we were to achieve this would anyone still want to live in the real world apart from people who are maintaining the system and certain religious groups?(or at least take breaks from full dive VR)
I'll be here...
And is VR a replacement for reality
For some folks, I guess...

Attachments

• 51v7gSMfU3L._AC_US218_.jpg
    51v7gSMfU3L._AC_US218_.jpg
    12.2 KB · Views: 603
Likes QuantumQuest and nsaspook
would anyone still want to live in the real world
Would that not be dependent upon ...( a list of factors )?
( Perhaps the VR world may or may not be the fairy tail and every one lives happily ever after world, whatever that may mean for the expectations of the user ).

Literature rather than the Internet, is the best way to get a peek at possible futures.

Brave New World by Aldous Huxley
Snow Crash by Neal Stephenson

Fully immersive is likely a long way off, however I fully expect photorealism in about 30 years. John Carmack did a talk where he talked about how graphics power has done a million fold increase in the past 30 years and there is little reason to think that that tread will cease. It's disconnected from Moore's law because we keep finding cool new algorithmic tricks. Another million-fold increase would be rendering what currently takes 5 hours to draw at 60Hz. That's about how long it takes to render a photorealistic frame for a movie. So fully photorealistic complex environments are probably about 30 years away.

I think we'll start seeing some real push towards that now though because in the past the newest engines just drew more and more polygons on higher and higher resolutions, but in terms of that, there isn't much more progress to be made. This is actually true for a lot of what makes a game engine: they render at higher resolution and frame rates than our brains can see, and we know how to do all of the advanced lighting and stuff, we just can't do it fast enough.

As for tactile feedback, I think were several human generations off. That type of feedback is probably possible sooner than that, but I'm not sure if we'll figure out how to make it natural.

As for whether it'll replace reality. I'm not so sure. All of human history is about making our physical selves safer by isolating ourselves from the "wild," but we never stopped going outside. I could sit in my nice cozy house, with climate control, and endless supply of entertainment, and the ability to ship literally anything directly to my door, and I work remotely. I still go outside. I think we'll end up just thinking of the virtual space as just another level of "indoors."

Beyond the next dozen generations though would be impossible to predict. I find it entirely likely that civilizations eventually upload themselves into a virtual immortality.

Likes russ_watters
Fully immersive is a pretty fluid concept. If you are talking about full consciousness jack-in like Gibson's _Neuromancer_ or Vernor Vinge's _True Names_, I just don't see that being a reality any time soon, however I suspect that we are closer to a practical total immersion that you may suspect.

Audio and visuals are pretty much there, particularly if you want to spend the money. There are some questions about just how photorealistic ideal graphics should be. Type 'uncanny valley' into your favorite search engine for a bit on this.

As far as other senses go, taste is probably not too important, could could be dealt with. Olfactory could be easily enough attended to, but might be expensive and a bit potentially messy... really probably a question of how badly it was desired.

As for tactile, That is probably a bit closer than you might imagine. Elements of tactile response have been easily available for a long time. Back when joysticks were still common, the fanciest of them used force feedback, particularly with air combat simulators... I know other types of game controllers have some similar effects. There are expensive gaming seats with a bunch of reverb and vibration effects, and some even with various sorts of tilts to mimic variable G forces (these have been around for a while in professional flight simulators). Keep in mind that the whole area of tactile response is really all about how one tricks the brain. Also, I don't think that anyone seriously wants _total_ tactile immersion. When your character gets shot (or whatever) i don't think too many people are going to desire the excruciating pain of a gunshot wound.

As far as people getting totally immersed, involved in and consumed by their simulations, I think we are already there. even with just the basics of what we have now, people are all the time getting lost in their games and sims for hours or more at a time and losing track of 'the real world'. I don't think excessive technology is required there, at least not for a segment of the population.

I also question the premise that 'more immersive' necessarily implies more compelling. I mean maybe, and maybe for a meaningful segment of the market share. Further, I realize that I am likely a minority, marketwise, but just as a single example, I have grown up playing electronic and computer games, but the game I keep going back to and playing at least occasionally, is 1999's Unreal Tournament (albeit heavily patched, hacked and with all sorts of new, fan made code)... and there is still a significant online community for it. Also, I like bicycling on a nice day...

diogenesNY

Last edited:
Likes russ_watters
There's a lot of vr tech out there, the only problem is these products reaching the production stage. Check out Tesla Suit. It's a touch feedback system, however the company has yet to release a product.

There is a huge amount of improvement that is possible for vr even with current tech. The only problem is someone needs to make these products.

For example, vr headsets could be made much smaller if they had two curved screens for each eye , rather than one flat screen with two large lenses to bend the light as they do now.

newjerseyrunner said:
...This is actually true for a lot of what makes a game engine: they render at higher resolution and frame rates than our brains can see...

Refresh rate, sure, resolution? No. We see around 576 Megapixels - computers can't come close to rendering that yet (16K is around the 130 megapixel mark). Maybe you mean the amount of colors that our brains can perceive?

1. How close are we to achieving full immersion in VR?

Currently, we are still in the early stages of developing full immersion VR technology. While there have been significant advancements in recent years, we are still far from achieving a fully immersive experience.

2. What are the biggest challenges in creating full immersion VR?

There are several challenges that still need to be addressed in order to achieve full immersion in VR. These include creating realistic and responsive haptic feedback, improving the resolution and field of view of VR headsets, and developing advanced motion tracking technology.

3. Will full immersion VR ever be possible?

It is difficult to predict the future of technology, but it is certainly possible that full immersion VR could become a reality in the future. However, it may take several more years of research and development to overcome the current challenges.

4. What are some potential applications for full immersion VR?

Full immersion VR has the potential to revolutionize a wide range of industries, including gaming, education, healthcare, and training simulations. It could also be used for entertainment purposes, such as virtual travel or concerts.

5. How can we improve the current state of VR technology?

To improve the current state of VR technology, continued research and development is necessary. This includes investing in new technologies and collaborations between scientists, engineers, and developers. Additionally, incorporating user feedback and improving accessibility can also help drive advancements in VR technology.

Back