How come my mobile phone recharged in 5 minutes?

  • Thread starter Thread starter PIT2
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Mobile
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
5 replies · 5K views
PIT2
Messages
897
Reaction score
2
How come my mobile phone recharged in 5 minutes?

On monday i had accidently left my phone on all day, and the batteries were almost empty. Then i forgot to recharge it in the evening, and the next morning was only able to do so for 5 minutes. When i unplugged it after 5 minutes, the batteries were fully charged and they have been so for the last 3 days!

How can this be possible?
 
Physics news on Phys.org
The indicator lies. It may not be fully charged.
 
I'm sure the indicator is lying, how long have you had the phone?

Lithium Ion batteries tend to go bad after a certain amount of cycles. My old phone used to be like that too after having it for a while.
 
Ive had the phone for 5 years maybe. Its still lying to me and saying its completely charged. I guess i should recharge but I am curious if it will keep working without it.
 
I don't think the problem was with the indicator lying that it was full, but that it was empty! If it can run on 5mins charge for 3 days, then the indicator falsely told you the batteries were low, or you have a US Army hyper-Lithium Ion battery for your big chunk of a phone :)
 
I was just going to say that your battery was dead but I didnt see Gib Z's post. When my laptop battery was dying it would charge faster and faster until eventually when I tried to take out the power cord, it would just turn off. I'd put my money on what Gib Z said.