1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

How come my mobile phone recharged in 5 minutes?

1. May 25, 2007 #1
    How come my mobile phone recharged in 5 minutes?

On monday i had accidently left my phone on all day, and the batteries were almost empty. Then i forgot to recharge it in the evening, and the next morning was only able to do so for 5 minutes. When i unplugged it after 5 minutes, the batteries were fully charged and they have been so for the last 3 days!!

How can this be possible?

2. jcsd
  3. May 25, 2007 #2

DaveC426913

Gold Member

The indicator lies. It may not be fully charged.

4. May 25, 2007 #3
    I'm sure the indicator is lying, how long have you had the phone?

Lithium Ion batteries tend to go bad after a certain amount of cycles. My old phone used to be like that too after having it for a while.

5. May 25, 2007 #4
    Ive had the phone for 5 years maybe. Its still lying to me and saying its completely charged. I guess i should recharge but im curious if it will keep working without it.

6. May 25, 2007 #5

Gib Z

Homework Helper

I don't think the problem was with the indicator lying that it was full, but that it was empty!! If it can run on 5mins charge for 3 days, then the indicator falsely told you the batteries were low, or you have a US Army hyper-Lithium Ion battery for your big chunk of a phone :)

7. May 29, 2007 #6
    I was just going to say that your battery was dead but I didnt see Gib Z's post. When my laptop battery was dying it would charge faster and faster untill eventually when I tried to take out the power cord, it would just turn off. I'd put my money on what Gib Z said.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?