How could 2 crossed fields polarize and deflect EM radiation

In summary, in the novel Childhood's End, the characters use two crossed fields in outer space to polarize the solar radiation, blocking it from reaching Earth. This refers to the process of polarizing light or electromagnetic radiation, where the electric field is oscillating in a specific direction. In theory, this effect can be achieved through methods such as using polarizing filters or polarizers. In practice, polarization has various applications, such as reducing glare in sunglasses and creating 3D effects in movies.
Harry Klein
In the 1953 science fiction novel Childhood’s End by Arthur C. Clarke, characters use two crossed fields in outer space to block some of the solar radiation traveling towards earth: “Somehow, out in space, the light of the Sun had been polarized by two crossed fields so that no radiation could pass” (page 12, here's the link: https://books.google.com/books?id=d...ce=gbs_ge_summary_r&cad=0#v=onepage&q&f=false) I was wondering what is meant when Clarke writes that the radiation was “polarized by two crossed fields.” What are the ways that this effect could be achieved in theory (not necessarily in practice)? Also, I am studying first year college physics, and I am asking this question out of my own curiosity. Thank you very much.

Physics news on Phys.org
This is pure fiction. This doesn't happen in reality.

As a fellow science enthusiast, I find this concept fascinating and have done some research to answer your question. From my understanding, when Clarke writes about the radiation being "polarized by two crossed fields," he is referring to the process of polarizing light or electromagnetic radiation.

In basic terms, polarization refers to the direction in which the electric field of a wave is oscillating. When two fields are crossed, they are perpendicular to each other, and this causes the light to become polarized. This means that the electric field of the light wave is oscillating in a specific direction, rather than in all directions.

Now, as for how this effect could be achieved in theory, there are a few different methods that I have come across in my research. One way is by using a polarizing filter, which is a material that only allows light waves oscillating in a specific direction to pass through. Another method is by using a polarizer, which is a device that can manipulate the direction of the electric field of a light wave.

In terms of practical applications, polarization is commonly used in sunglasses to reduce glare, in 3D movie glasses to create the illusion of depth, and in LCD screens to control the amount of light that passes through.

I hope this helps answer your question and satisfies your curiosity. Keep exploring and learning about the amazing world of physics!

1. How do crossed fields polarize and deflect EM radiation?

When two fields, such as electric and magnetic fields, are perpendicular to each other and intersect, they can interact with each other and cause the polarization and deflection of EM radiation. This interaction is due to the force exerted by the fields on the charged particles in the radiation, causing them to move in a particular direction.

2. What is the significance of the polarization of EM radiation?

Polarization refers to the orientation of the electric field vector of EM radiation. It is an important characteristic as it affects how the radiation interacts with matter. For example, polarized light can be used in 3D imaging techniques and in communication systems to minimize interference.

3. How does the strength of the crossed fields affect the polarization and deflection of EM radiation?

The strength of the fields plays a crucial role in determining the degree of polarization and deflection of EM radiation. Higher field strengths result in stronger interactions with the radiation, leading to greater polarization and deflection effects.

4. Can crossed fields be used to selectively polarize and deflect specific wavelengths of EM radiation?

Yes, crossed fields can be tuned to selectively polarize and deflect specific wavelengths of EM radiation. This is due to the fact that different wavelengths of EM radiation interact differently with the fields, resulting in varying degrees of polarization and deflection. This property is utilized in devices such as polarizers and waveplates.

5. How are crossed fields used in scientific research and technology?

Crossed fields have a wide range of applications in scientific research and technology. They are used in particle accelerators to control the path of charged particles, in spectroscopy to analyze the polarization of light, and in medical imaging techniques such as magnetic resonance imaging (MRI). They are also utilized in communication systems, sensors, and other electronic devices.