How could calculus possibly be used in floor tile setting?

• Thread starter stickythighs
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Calculus
In summary, the conversation discussed the potential applications of calculus in tile setting, with one person stating that it is not necessary to be an outstanding tile setter and the other person mentioning possible uses for calculus in determining tile shape and size for cost and quantity optimization. It was also mentioned that knowledge of geometry may be more important for tile setting than calculus.
stickythighs
I was reading a book at the library this morning about the 100 best jobs without a four year college degree, and I was reading about tile setting. The book had sections for each job, and one section was about the skills that tile setters use. This book said that tile setters can use calculus on the job.

I have worked as an assistant to a tile setter for a year, and a person can definitely be an outstanding tile setter without knowing anything about calculus.

What applications does calculus possibly have for floor tile setting?

I'm talking about any type of floor tile: ceramic, porcelain, natural stone, glass, etc.

Physics news on Phys.org
Like for example determining what shape and of what size the tiles should be in order for the cost to be minimazed, or the number of tiles to be minimized. There are other applications also, but this is what comes at the top off my head.

i would imagine you use more geometry than calculus

Doing a geometric progression by using a Recursively defined sequence would be the first thing that comes to mind.

stickythighs said:
I have worked as an assistant to a tile setter for a year, and a person can definitely be an outstanding tile setter without knowing anything about calculus.

Yes, in the same sense that you can be an excellent computer programmer without knowing how transistors work.

1. How can calculus be used to determine the number of tiles needed for a floor?

Calculus can be used to calculate the area of the floor and the area of each tile, and then determine the number of tiles needed by dividing the floor area by the tile area. This involves using integration to find the total area and basic algebra to solve for the number of tiles.

2. Can calculus help with cutting tiles to fit into irregular spaces?

Yes, calculus can be used to find the optimal shape and size of tiles to fit into irregular spaces. This involves using optimization techniques to find the minimum or maximum dimensions of the tiles that will cover the space without leaving any gaps.

3. How does calculus help in creating a smooth transition between different types of tiles?

Calculus can be used to find the slope or rate of change at the boundary between two types of tiles. This allows for precise measurements and adjustments to create a smooth transition without any sudden changes in height or angle.

4. Can calculus be used to determine the best layout for a tile pattern?

Yes, calculus can be used to optimize the placement of tiles to create an aesthetically pleasing and efficient layout. This involves using optimization techniques to find the arrangement that minimizes waste and maximizes symmetry or other desired patterns.

5. How does calculus help with leveling and aligning tiles?

Calculus can be used to calculate the slope or rate of change at different points on the floor to ensure that the tiles are level and aligned. This involves using derivatives to find the slope of the floor and adjusting the placement of tiles accordingly.