How could I change an equation to look the same as it did with inverted axes?

  • Level: Undergrad 
  • Thread starter Thread starter zeebo17
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Axes Change
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 2K views
zeebo17
Messages
40
Reaction score
0
How could I change an equation to look the same as it did with "inverted" axes?

I have graphed something in mathematica and when plotting I accidentally told it to plot the x and y axes backwards- as in x ranges from 1 to -1 from left to right and y ranges from 1 to -1 from bottom to top. Now the equation I was graphing looked exactly how I needed it to behave when plotting it with these incorrect axes.

If it possible to manipulate the equation some how so that when it is plotted with the proper axes it will look like the original equation did on the incorrect axes?

I have tried changing signs and inverting terms. Perhaps there is some linear algebra trick (changing basis or something?).

Any suggestions? Is this possible?
 
Physics news on Phys.org


Only replace x with (-x) and y with (-y); nothing else.