How could one learn modern physics?

In summary: QM, then take a year of classical mechanics, E&M, QM, then statistical mechanics. If you tried to learn from motion mountain then you would be overwhelmed by the time you got to statistical mechanics.
ultrasmart
Hi, I'm teaching myself physics and i started with Physics For Scientist and engineers 6th edition Tipler standard edition (without modern physics chapters), and I'm now finished of it and wish to begin learning modern physics.
What is the best modern physics textbook that should i study?

Physics news on Phys.org
What kind of modern physics? What kind of mathematical background do you have?

I want to study the same subjects courses that physics majors take at university. I have taken two courses in calculus and differential equations.

ultrasmart said:
Hi, I'm teaching myself physics and i started with Physics For Scientist and engineers 6th edition Tipler standard edition (without modern physics chapters), and I'm now finished of it and wish to begin learning modern physics.
What is the best modern physics textbook that should i study?
Is one referring to topics like special relativity and quantum mechanics?

(As Wiki puts it)
These are generally considered to be the topics regarded as the "core" of the foundation of modern physics:

Atomic theory and the evolution of the atomic model in general
Black body radiation
Franck–Hertz experiment
Geiger–Marsden experiment (Rutherford's experiment)
Gravitational lensing
Michelson–Morley experiment
Photoelectric effect
Quantum thermodynamics
Radioactive phenomena in general
Perihelion precession of Mercury
Stern–Gerlach experiment
Wave–particle duality

They leave out Einsteinian Relativity, which is a HUGE part of modern physics.
I would get very familiar with Relativity, because its at the heart of a lot of modern physics concepts.

Its seems Astronuc and I replied at the same time! and we seem to agree!

I wish to know what is the best textbook that i can learn from?? Does a book like Modern Physics For Scientists and Engineers 4th edition cover all the foundations of modern physics or should i use many textbooks?

ultrasmart said:
I wish to know what is the best textbook that i can learn from?? Does a book like Modern Physics For Scientists and Engineers 4th edition cover all the foundations of modern physics or should i use many textbooks?

..well (although I haven't read it)

"Spacetime and Geometry: An Introduction to General Relativity" by Sean Carroll
is said to be good...I would also read Einsteins Actual work as well.

Also, Leonard Susskind has some GREAT in depth lectures from his course on relativity at Stanford on youtube. Those are VERY good lectures that you should check out.

be aware Spacetime and Geometry: An Introduction to General Relativity is a graduate level text

Thank you so much ^_^ FeynmanIsCool.

Astronuc said:
Is one referring to topics like special relativity and quantum mechanics?

Yes..:approve:

Last edited by a moderator:
jtbell said:
There are a number of "introductory modern physics" textbooks that are intended to follow on from a typical first-year textbook like Tipler. The last time I taught this course I used this book:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/013805715X/?tag=pfamazon01-20

Thank you very much... I want to study the subjects that physics majors take.. can i depend on this book from now on to be like a physics major? or there are more books that i must study??

ultrasmart said:
Thank you very much... I want to study the subjects that physics majors take.. can i depend on this book from now on to be like a physics major? or there are more books that i must study??

That book is a good introduction. A physics major will have to read quite a few books before grad school and then a bunch in grad school. I thought tipler was a pretty good intro book, but I can't compare it to much at the same level. Tipler will take a while if you actually learn the material, so worry about that before you go buy a load of books.

ultrasmart said:
or there are more books that i must study??

Of course there are! :biggrin: After the introductory level there are more advanced core classes in classical mechanics, electromagnetism, quantum mechanics, thermodynamics and statistical mechanics. Then there are more specialized classes like particle physics, solid-state physics, etc. Look at a few university web sites and see their curricula for physics majors.

Here is a really good one:

The Trouble with Physics: The Rise of String Theory The Fall of a Science and What Comes Next

By Lee Smolin

Link removed by moderator

While that may be a good book, it is not an undergrad text. It is a popsci book. That is also a questionable link. I'm not sure what the forum rules are concerning such sites.

DrewD said:
While that may be a good book, it is not an undergrad text. It is a popsci book. That is also a questionable link. I'm not sure what the forum rules are concerning such sites.

The forum rules state that such sites are not allowed. Please report such posts.

jtbell said:
Of course there are! :biggrin: After the introductory level there are more advanced core classes in classical mechanics, electromagnetism, quantum mechanics, thermodynamics and statistical mechanics. Then there are more specialized classes like particle physics, solid-state physics, etc. Look at a few university web sites and see their curricula for physics majors.

I searched in universities websites many times, but i couldn't choose the textbooks that cover the curriculum.

Do you know "Motion Mountain: The Adventure Of Physics"? Is it useful to read it after reading an introductory modern physics textbook?

I took a look at that book, I found it so friendly and explain things simply. But I would like to know how comprehensive it is.

Let's say that someone studied:
1. Physics for scientists and engineers Tipler.
2. Modern Physics for Scientists and Engineers Taylor.
3. Motion Mountain (in it's six volumes).

So does he then cover 50% of physics undergrad curriculum, more or less?
Thanks in advance.

That would be a little more than half the curriculum of a physics minor at my school. Not even close to half a major. That is the introduction that you would get freshmen/sophmore. Then you would take E&M, classical mech, quantum mech, stat mech/thermo, maybe optics, mathematical physics, and probably some research with a professor. That is also just the theoretical side. You would also take a bunch of labs which involve a lot more than just measuring things.

Also, that Motion Mountain seems like a cool book with lots of info, but it seems really fluffy in some spots. I only read a page or two so maybe I'm wrong, but it seemed like physics for the non-major. I might be wrong.

Are you trying to just get a basic understanding of physics or do you want to really teach yourself physics. The former will be difficult but fun, the latter will require a significant amount of effort. It takes most people 4 years to get through undergrad with other people helping them out.

Why don't you start with an overview of modern physics from something like motion mountain, Modern Physics by Tipler or the Feynman Lectures, and then ask for advice on other books. I have 13 physics books in front of me at my computer. I don't think it would be helpful if everyone listed all of the physics books they read as undergrads.

I would stay the heck away from Motion Mountain. The few passages I've seen floating around the internet are flat wrong sometimes.
Thornton and Rex Modern Physics is a fine book for your purposes.

1. What background knowledge is needed to learn modern physics?

To learn modern physics, a strong foundation in mathematics, specifically calculus, is essential. A strong understanding of classical physics, such as Newton's laws, is also necessary. Some familiarity with basic concepts in chemistry, such as atomic structure, can also be helpful.

2. What topics should I focus on when learning modern physics?

Modern physics can be a broad and complex subject, but some key topics to focus on include quantum mechanics, relativity, and thermodynamics. It is also important to understand the fundamental forces and particles that make up the universe, such as electromagnetism and the standard model of particle physics.

3. How can I apply what I learn in modern physics to real-world problems?

Modern physics has a wide range of practical applications, from developing new technologies to understanding the behavior of the universe. By learning about concepts like quantum mechanics and relativity, you can gain a deeper understanding of the world around you and potentially contribute to advancements in science and technology.

4. What resources are available for learning modern physics?

There are many resources available for learning modern physics, including textbooks, online courses, and educational videos. Universities and colleges also offer courses and degrees in modern physics. Additionally, joining a study group or attending lectures and seminars can provide valuable learning opportunities.

5. How can I improve my problem-solving skills in modern physics?

Problem-solving is a crucial skill in modern physics. To improve, it is important to practice solving a variety of problems and to understand the underlying principles and equations. It can also be helpful to seek guidance from professors or peers and to work through problems together. Additionally, staying up to date on current research and developments in the field can help sharpen problem-solving skills.