How could you tell whether or not a molecule *could* have pi bonds?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
4 replies · 8K views
Jas0n
Messages
2
Reaction score
0
Just by looking at its Lewis structure, how could you tell whether or not a molecule could have pi bonds?

Thanks in advance.
 
Chemistry news on Phys.org
This is probably an oversimplified answer, but...Single bonds are made up of 1 sigma bond. Double bonds are made up of 1 sigma and 1 pi bond. Triple bonds are made up of 1 sigma and 2 pi bonds. So if the lewis structure for a molecule has double or triple bonds, it will have pi bonds.
 
Thanks for your reply Cesium, but how do I tell if a molecule has multiple bonds if I'm only given its Lewis structure? Is there a simple way to do so, or do I have to actually draw it out?
 
Yes, you have to draw out the Lewis structure to see if the molecule has double/triple bonds.
 
Jas0n said:
Thanks for your reply Cesium, but how do I tell if a molecule has multiple bonds if I'm only given its Lewis structure? Is there a simple way to do so, or do I have to actually draw it out?
I'm not sure I understand this question. If you've been given the Lewis structure (aka Lewis dot diagram), why would you want to draw it out again?

Jas0n said:
Just by looking at its Lewis structure, how could you tell whether or not a molecule could have pi bonds?
In most cases, you could, as explained by Cesium. It is possible, however, to have pi bonds in a molecule with just a single-bond, but this is quite rare. When you get to molecular orbital theory, you will understand how this is possible.