How current changes in metals at different temperatures

In summary, Bill Hiker finds that a certain voltage applied to a aluminum wire produces a current of 1.000 A. He then travels to Antarctica and applies the same voltage to the same wire. What current does he register there if the temperature is -88.0°C? Assume that no change occurs in the wire's shape and size.
ketchuppy

Homework Statement

While taking photographs in Death Valley on a day when the temperature is 59.0°C, Bill Hiker finds that a certain voltage applied to a aluminum wire produces a current of 1.000 A. Bill then travels to Antarctica and applies the same voltage to the same wire. What current does he register there if the temperature is -88.0°C? Assume that no change occurs in the wire's shape and size.

Homework Equations

I need to find the new current at a different temperature

The Attempt at a Solution

I used the equation Rf = Ri [1+alpha(Tf-Ti)

And was thinking that i would find Rf and then use ohm's law to find I for the final temperature. but i don't know what V is. or maybe i have to solve using another equation and then subtituing it in.

Physics news on Phys.org
ketchuppy said:

Homework Statement

While taking photographs in Death Valley on a day when the temperature is 59.0°C, Bill Hiker finds that a certain voltage applied to a aluminum wire produces a current of 1.000 A. Bill then travels to Antarctica and applies the same voltage to the same wire. What current does he register there if the temperature is -88.0°C? Assume that no change occurs in the wire's shape and size.

Homework Equations

I need to find the new current at a different temperature

The Attempt at a Solution

And was thinking that i would find Rf and then use ohm's law to find I for the final temperature. but i don't know what V is. or maybe i have to solve using another equation and then subtituing it in.
Welcome to PF ketchuppy,

Indeed, you do not know the value of the voltage applied explicitly, but you do know that the voltage applied in both cases was the same.

Hootenanny said:
Indeed, you do not know the value of the voltage applied explicitly, but you do know that the voltage applied in both cases was the same.

yes that was stated in the problem . I was thinking that this relates to the resistivity since that changes with temperature. There an equation that relates Resistance to resitivity.

R = Resistivity (L/A).

Not sure if i could go anywhere with that

ketchuppy said:
yes that was stated in the problem . I was thinking that this relates to the resistivity since that changes with temperature. There an equation that relates Resistance to resitivity.

R = Resistivity (L/A).

Not sure if i could go anywhere with that
Let's go back to the original problem. Write out the two equations for resistance, one for each location.

Hootenanny said:
Let's go back to the original problem. Write out the two equations for resistance, one for each location.

I'm not sure which equation for resistance to use

ketchuppy said:
I'm not sure which equation for resistance to use
The one you stated in your opening post:
ketchuppy said:
But perhaps it would be more useful in this case to use Ohm's law and re-write it as:

[tex]\frac{V}{I_f} = \frac{V}{I_i}\left[1+\alpha\left(T_f-T_i\right)\right][/tex]

Hootenanny said:
But perhaps it would be more useful in this case to use Ohm's law and re-write it as:

[tex]\frac{V}{I_f} = \frac{V}{I_i}\left[1+\alpha\left(T_f-T_i\right)\right][/tex]

since the voltage is the same, they would drop out of the equation

ketchuppy said:
since the voltage is the same, they would drop out of the equation
Indeed they would.

would i then proceed to plug in the variables and solve for I(f)

ketchuppy said:
would i then proceed to plug in the variables and solve for I(f)
Sounds like a plan to me.

One caveat -- I think the temperatures T need to be in absolute units (Kelvins), not C or F...

1. How does temperature affect the properties of metals?

Temperature can greatly influence the properties of metals, such as their strength, ductility, and electrical conductivity. As temperature increases, the atoms in the metal vibrate more, causing them to move apart and reducing the overall strength of the metal. This can also make the metal more ductile, meaning it is easier to bend and shape. Additionally, at higher temperatures, the movement of electrons in the metal increases, leading to a decrease in electrical conductivity.

2. What is the relationship between temperature and conductivity in metals?

Generally, as temperature increases, the conductivity of metals decreases. This is because at higher temperatures, the movement of electrons in the metal increases, causing them to collide more frequently and reducing their ability to carry an electric current. However, some metals, such as semiconductors, may experience an increase in conductivity at higher temperatures due to the generation of more free electrons.

3. How do changes in temperature affect the structure of metals?

Changes in temperature can alter the structure of metals in various ways. At high temperatures, metals may undergo phase changes, where their crystal structure transforms into a different arrangement. This can impact the properties of the metal, such as strength and electrical conductivity. Furthermore, changes in temperature can also affect the grain size of metals, which can affect their mechanical properties.

4. What is the role of temperature in the corrosion of metals?

Temperature plays a significant role in the corrosion of metals. Higher temperatures can accelerate the rate of corrosion, as they provide more energy for chemical reactions to occur. Additionally, temperature can also impact the corrosivity of the environment, with higher temperatures often leading to more aggressive corrosion. This is especially true for metals in aqueous environments, where higher temperatures can increase the rate of water evaporation and concentration of corrosive substances.

5. How does temperature affect the thermal expansion of metals?

Temperature has a direct influence on the thermal expansion of metals. As temperature increases, the atoms in the metal vibrate more, causing them to take up more space and leading to an increase in the overall size of the metal. This is why metals expand when heated and contract when cooled. This property is essential in many applications, such as in the construction of bridges and buildings, where temperature changes can cause significant stress on the structures.