Finding Specific Heat of Unknown Metal

In summary, the specific heat of Metal X can be calculated by dividing the heat transfer, -8238.048 J, by the mass of the metal, 120 g, and the change in temperature, -134.4 K, resulting in a specific heat of 0.51 J/g⋅K.
a1234

Homework Statement

I'm asked to find the specific heat of Metal X in this simulation:
http://group.chem.iastate.edu/Greenbowe/sections/projectfolder/flashfiles/thermochem/heat_metal.html

Mass of Metal X = 120 g
Temp of Metal X = 220 degrees
Mass of Water = 30 g
Initial Temp of Water = 20 degrees
Final Temp of Water = 85.6 degrees
Specific Heat of Water = 4.186 J/gram C

Homework Equations

ΔQ = mCpΔT is the equation for finding the heat needed to change the temperature.

The Attempt at a Solution

Qwater = mwater*cpwater*change in temperature
Qwater = 30*4.186*65.6
Qwater = 8238.048 J

I think the Q of the metal would be -8238.048 J. I'm not sure what to do from there.

Physics news on Phys.org
a1234 said:
I think the Q of the metal would be -8238.048 J. I'm not sure what to do from there.

It's been a while since I've done this, so someone please correct me if I am mistaken... So you have the initial heat of your metal as ##8.24 kJ##. Specific heat capacity is measured in terms of ##\frac{J}{g⋅K}##. A total of ##8.24 kJ## of energy was transferred using ##120 g## of metal, at ##493 K##. Can you think of a quantity to describe the heat that can be transferred from this metal for any given mass and temperature?

Last edited:
Likes Bystander
Is it 0.51?
I did these calculations after getting the Q for the metal:
Cpmetal = Q/(m*change in temp)
Cpmetal = -8238.048/(120*-134.4)
Cpmetal = 0.51

a1234 said:
Cpmetal = Q/(m*change in temp)
Cpmetal = -8238.048/(120*-134.4)
Cpmetal = 0.51

That looks correct to me. You should also add in your units.

1. What is specific heat and why is it important in determining the properties of metals?

Specific heat is the amount of heat energy required to raise the temperature of one gram of a substance by one degree Celsius. It is an important property of metals because it helps determine their ability to conduct and store heat, which can be useful in various applications such as cooking, heating, and cooling.

2. How do you determine the specific heat of an unknown metal?

The specific heat of an unknown metal can be determined through an experimental procedure called calorimetry. This involves measuring the change in temperature of the metal when it is heated or cooled and using that information to calculate its specific heat.

3. What materials and equipment are needed to find the specific heat of an unknown metal?

To find the specific heat of an unknown metal, you will need a calorimeter, a thermometer, a heat source (such as a Bunsen burner), a balance, and the unknown metal. You may also need an insulating material, such as Styrofoam, to minimize heat loss during the experiment.

4. Can the specific heat of a metal change?

Yes, the specific heat of a metal can change depending on factors such as temperature and phase. As temperature increases, the specific heat of a metal may also increase. Additionally, when a metal undergoes a phase change (such as melting or freezing), its specific heat may also change.

5. How accurate are the results when finding the specific heat of an unknown metal?

The accuracy of the results when finding the specific heat of an unknown metal depends on the precision and accuracy of the equipment used, as well as the experimental technique. It is important to control for any sources of error and to repeat the experiment multiple times to ensure accurate and consistent results.