Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

How did the first electric power plant work?

1. Apr 22, 2009 #1
    Two sentences or so in a general American history book I was reading last night got me thinking. The book I was reading said that the first American electric power plant opened in New York City. I believe the book said that the first American electric power plant opened in 1887. My guess is that the first power plant used was a steam engine powered by coal. Is this correct? If not, how did this power plant work? I mean, how did this power plant generate electricity back in the 1880s?

My book just mentioned that the first power plant opened in NYC in the 1880s. I think that most readers would get the impression that there was just one giant power plant in NYC in the 19th Century, but I (based on my supposition that the first power plant was a steam engine/ generator) suspect that this first power plant couldn't send its electricity very far and was thus limited in the economies of scale it could achieve. I suspect that for the first power plants, many smaller plants were required rather than a single large one for a given region. Were many smaller plants required rather than a single large one for a given region?

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 22, 2009 #2

mgb_phys

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Correct - in fact very little has changed. The only difference is a steam turbine instead of steam piston engine.
    Often power plants were for an individual customer, a factory or a railroad - there wasn't the technology to transmit electricity long distances or the customer demand.
    There also wasn't a lot of standardization ( votage, AC/DC, frequency) so each installation was unique.

4. Jul 2, 2009 #3
    Correct! in fact very little has changed. The only difference is a steam turbine instead of steam piston engine.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook