1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

How difficult is it to get into astro/cosmology?

1. May 28, 2010 #1
    Hi all

I'm a first year physics student at UQ in Australia with a strong interest in philosophy (I'm taking intro philosophy this semester and philosophy of modern physics next semester, a second year course).

I have a friend who's starting his honours project in cosmology, but he's incredibly smart. Perfect GPA for all his third year courses and he reads a lot. I'd love to get into research like that. Anyone have some tips? I think reading and philosophy, and the critical thinking skills I gain from it will give me a good edge. I'm starting second year astro next semester too (it's still first semester in Australia).

2. jcsd
  3. May 29, 2010 #2
    As a career? Cosmology is very difficult to get into. There are hundreds of threads on this forum about the difficulties of getting a job in astronomy generally.

4. May 31, 2010 #3
    However, it's not hard to get a Ph.D. in cosmology, and getting a faculty position in cosmology is no more difficult than getting a position in any other field of astronomy (like for example planetary science).

The important thing about cosmology is not to get too philosophical and abstract.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook