PhD in astro to become a data scientist?

In summary: I also worked on a climate prediction project for the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration for a few years. I've also used data mining skills to study the results of a number of scientific experiments.
andymars
I'm planning to start grad school for astrophysics next year, but am kind of put off by reading about the lack of jobs in science after graduation. It looks like data science is the current hot field to go into, even for PhDs in other fields. Would it make sense to start a PhD program fully planning on taking the data analysis skills you learn and running with them after graduating? Would it be that hard to learn the additional necessary skills on the side as I go?
I'm planning on going into astro because it really is something where I feel like my life would be incomplete if I didn't do it. I'd like to learn the data analysis skills working on something I already know I love.

Likes atyy
Physics news on Phys.org
andymars said:
I'm planning to start grad school for astrophysics next year, but am kind of put off by reading about the lack of jobs in science after graduation. It looks like data science is the current hot field to go into, even for PhDs in other fields. Would it make sense to start a PhD program fully planning on taking the data analysis skills you learn and running with them after graduating? Would it be that hard to learn the additional necessary skills on the side as I go?
I'm planning on going into astro because it really is something where I feel like my life would be incomplete if I didn't do it. I'd like to learn the data analysis skills working on something I already know I love.

This plan will likely work. Since earning my PhD, I've been offered several jobs in unrelated data science fields.

Those jobs can pay a lot and be rewarding in the short term, but I found that they tend to get stale and boring after a few years doing the same thing. I've gotten to work for some great companies and with some great people, though.

Likes Silicon Waffle and atyy
Thanks for the reply. That's encouraging. Mind if I ask what kinds of projects you've gotten to work on?

andymars said:
Thanks for the reply. That's encouraging. Mind if I ask what kinds of projects you've gotten to work on?

I've turned down most of the purer data science jobs. I was an RF test engineer for Cisco Systems for 7 years. This was a data intensive job, because the test results for each and every unit manufactured had to be recorded, stored, and analyzed to retain records and to determine how new parts were impacting performance. The data mining skill has been useful in a number of science projects since those days.

1. What is a PhD in astrophysics?

A PhD in astrophysics is an advanced degree that focuses on the study of celestial objects, such as planets, stars, galaxies, and the universe as a whole. It combines principles from physics, astronomy, and mathematics to understand the physical processes and structures of these objects.

2. How does a PhD in astrophysics prepare one for a career as a data scientist?

A PhD in astrophysics provides a strong foundation in mathematical and statistical analysis, as well as programming skills. These are essential components of data science, as data scientists use mathematical and statistical techniques to analyze and interpret large datasets. Additionally, astrophysics involves working with complex data sets and using data visualization techniques, which are also important skills for data scientists.

3. Can a PhD in astrophysics be a direct path to becoming a data scientist?

While a PhD in astrophysics can provide a strong background for a career in data science, it is not a direct path. Data science is a multidisciplinary field, and individuals with backgrounds in various fields, such as computer science, mathematics, and economics, can also become data scientists. However, a PhD in astrophysics can provide a unique perspective and skill set that can be valuable in the field of data science.

4. What additional skills or training might be necessary for a PhD in astrophysics to become a data scientist?

In addition to the technical skills gained through a PhD in astrophysics, individuals may also benefit from further training in areas such as machine learning, data mining, and programming languages commonly used in data science, such as Python and R. It may also be helpful to gain experience in data analysis and visualization through internships or projects.

5. What types of industries or companies might be interested in hiring a data scientist with a PhD in astrophysics?

Data scientists are in high demand in a variety of industries, including technology, finance, healthcare, and government. Companies that deal with large amounts of data, such as those in the e-commerce, social media, and telecommunications industries, may also be interested in hiring individuals with a PhD in astrophysics for their data science teams.