Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

How do all you electro-experts manage to find time

1. Oct 13, 2012 #1
    Hi all,

Long time no see. :smile: How are ya doing?

I just got recently employed in electronic design industry. Never did I before realize, work can be so consuming outside academia. Even when I am not working I find little time and energy left to come to PF (or to properly answer the engineering questions here).

I leave this question to all employed guys working in electronics industry: How do you manage enough time to come to EE section and answer questions?

I haven't posted frequently for months now. :mad: Hopefully, I will be picking up some suggestion to improve my situation. :wink:

to jim: Even though I presume you have been retired, I'd also like to hear from you, as without your wise words this discussion will remain incomplete.

Thanks

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 13, 2012 #2

russ_watters

Staff: Mentor

How many hours a week do you work?

4. Oct 13, 2012 #3
    I do 40 hrs per week. Still I don't get time. sigh!

5. Oct 13, 2012 #4
    I don't work anymore, but I do study and I am working on music electronics for guitars at home. I just come here whenever I take a break.

People are not here all the time giving advice. You can see people rotating in and out. From my observation, you see certain people here advising for a while, then take a few weeks off and come back, you don't see them here all year round. At least I am one of those, I come here for a while, when I get tired, I take a week or two off all together, then come back for a few weeks and take off again. There must be quite a few people like me that can't get enough about electronics!!!!

6. Oct 14, 2012 #5
    Yeah yungman, that cycle of posts is something I also noticed. I think the biggest period of cycle is had by Mike_In_piano. Havn't seen him lately. LOL

Nowadays I might only get chance to sit down and do PF in weekends and sunday. Well, like you, I also can not get enough of electronics :D , but get little time to devote in it.

7. Oct 14, 2012 #6
    Go well and prosper in your new career.

8. Oct 14, 2012 #7

AlephZero

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

You didn't say how long you have been working in industry, but it takes a while (i.e. of the order of one or two years not one or two weeks) to get up the initial learning curve. In my experience new starters tend to burn up a lot of mental energy getting their social life sorted out as well, until that gets reasonably close to a "steady state" situation.

Don't worry about it - most people succeed in figuring out how to live within the constraints of 24 hours in a day and 7 days in a week, but it can take a little while to find your personal optimum solution.

9. Oct 14, 2012 #8
    I cannot speak for other people. I started out here asking question a few years back when I was learning math and electromagnetics. I was the one asking a lot of questions in the Classical Physics and ODE sub-forum here. I don't go to school, this is my main resource in my self studying. I am very grateful of all the help I got from people here. So I decided to give back a little here in the area I have been in for a long time. That's how the world goes around and I enjoy doing it.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook