How do covalent bonds of the same molecule form?

• Thread starter Kuzon
  • Start date
There is no difference in electronegativity, so how do bonds form?

Take for example C-C, they both want 4 electrons for a full valence shell to become more stable - they meet each other, but how come they share 4 electrons? There is no difference in electronegativity for them to attract each other.

Also - can atoms only bond to themselves when they have half a valence shell full of electrons? E.g. carbon can bond to itself because it has 4 valence electrons but also needs 4 so another carbon fills its valence shell perfectly.

Apologies if any parts of my question confuse you, I just started chemistry so I don't have a solid grasp on these concepts.

Answers and Replies

Simon Bridge
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Covalent bonds form when atoms share electrons ... physically the configuration with the shared electrons has a higher binding energy than the configuration without, so atoms want to be in them. It's quantum. You typically don't get to know the process in detail until your third year.

Likes Kuzon
If you consider the noble elements, there is also the London forces (also called van der Waals' forces) to consider.

The bonding results from electrons being attracted to both nuclei at the same time.
Since each C atom has an incomplete shell the electrons of the other atom can approach its nucleus.
Promotion of 2s -> 2p enhances the effect.
For full shell atoms Pauli repulsion prevents this. In such a case there is only the much weaker Van der Waals interaction.

Covalent bonds form when atoms share electrons ... physically the configuration with the shared electrons has a higher binding energy than the configuration without, so atoms want to be in them. It's quantum. You typically don't get to know the process in detail until your third year.

That's what I like to hear. Thanks.

Likes Simon Bridge
Simon Bridge
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
No worries.

Likes Kuzon